Any general discussion around the firmware, what is does, how it does it etc.
By pazi88
STM32F4 can currently do 8x8 sequential with speeduino FW so there is that. It also has built in SD card support, so getting SD-card logging to work should be easy. There is also RTC, so you can have time/date to SD-card logs, which is quite crucial to have, if you have constant SD-logging in use. There is also integrated CAN bus so communicating with other CAN devices becomes a lot easier. And yeah it's also lot faster, so it can do more calculations and be more accurate in the same time compared to mega. And after 8x8 sequential, there is still leftover timers to have general purpose PWM outputs. These are all features that I plan to take advantage on STM32.

Teensy can also do lot of those too, but the pin numbers available on Teensy boards is quite limited. Also it's pretty much closed source and you don't have free access to bootloader etc. that you have on STM32. Which I think is big plus to STM32 compared to Teensy.

Currently, I'm personally working on this thin, which should be drop-in replacement for arduino mega, if I ever get that finished and/or working. I won't promise anything :D
By Mr_Hypnotic
pazi88 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:49 pm Currently, I'm personally working on this thin, which should be drop-in replacement for arduino mega, if I ever get that finished and/or working. I won't promise anything :D
That looks like a great way to upgrade existing installations. I hope development goes smoothly for you!
By joey120373
I ordered the black smr32 board that was linked In the op, for the price I figure it’s worth playing with.

That adapter board looks great, what ICs are U7,8&9 ? Are they just level shifters ?
By pazi88
joey120373 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:52 pm
That adapter board looks great, what ICs are U7,8&9 ? Are they just level shifters ?
It's not adapter board actually :D There is no need for separate STM32 board with that. it's all built in. And those ICs are more like buffers, but those act like level shifters. The 3.3v out of stm32 isn't really high enough voltage to safely drive many of the fets that are in Speeduino. So those convert the outputs on 0-5v
By NickZ
Im about to Run a engine on the STM version of Speeduino, I don't know if it has been done yet, but will video the results.
By joey120373
My black board arrived, the clock Chrystal was broke, but other than that it seems to work, at least the LED blinks so I assume that means it’s alive.

I started following the tool chain, and I got a bit stumped here :
7. Edit the board.txt file located in
--------Windows: C:\Users\%USER%\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\STM32\hardware\stm32\1.8.0\
--------Linux: ~/.arduino15/packages/STM32/hardware/stm32/1.8.0/boards.txt
8a. Replace line 942 with the following for spi flash storage: GenF4.build.extra_flags=-DUSE_SPI_EEPROM=56 -DCORE_STM32_OFFICIAL -D{build.product_line} {build.enable_usb} {build.xSerial} {build.bootloader_flags}
8b Replace line 942 with the following for battery backed sram storage: GenF4.build.extra_flags=-DSRAM_AS_EEPROM -DCORE_STM32_OFFICIAL -D{build.product_line} {build.enable_usb} {build.xSerial} {build.bootloader_flags}
My text file ( windblows 10 ) does not have line numbers ,
So I searched for “ GenF4.build.extra_flags”, and found what I think is the correct line, however the instructions ask to replace the same line twice? Part 8a and 8b ask me to modify line 942. So I added the line in 8b after line 8a, I commented out the original line with a “#” ( think that’s how it’s done.

I still need to remove the resistor, so I have not tried to load it yet but I though I would double check to see if I am understanding the instructions correctly. Thanks
By joey120373
well, tried to laod the code but i get a compiler error just chacking it.

Arduino IDE 1.8.11, that might be an issue, but here is the error i get:
Arduino: 1.8.11 (Windows 10), Board: "Generic STM32F4 series, Black F407VE, STM32CubeProgrammer (DFU), Enabled (generic 'Serial'), CDC (generic 'Serial' supersede U(S)ART), Low/Full Speed, Smallest (-Os default), Newlib Nano (default)"

In file included from sketch\src\BackupSram\BackupSramAsEEPROM.cpp:3:
sketch\src\BackupSram\BackupSramAsEEPROM.h:14:12: fatal error: system_stm32f1xx.h: No such file or directory
14 | #include "system_stm32f1xx.h"
| ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.

exit status 1
Error compiling for board Generic STM32F4 series.
Error downloading https://github.com/stm32duino/BoardMana ... index.json
Error downloading https://downloads.arduino.cc/packages/p ... index.json

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.
Seems odd, not sure why it needs to download anything as i already installed the STM32 boards using the board manager...
but this is how it goes almost every time i try anything new with arduino.... ;)
By joey120373
ok, so i closed a bunch of folders, rebooted and now i get this compiler error :
Arduino: 1.8.11 (Windows 10), Board: "Generic STM32F4 series, Black F407VE, STM32CubeProgrammer (DFU), Enabled (generic 'Serial'), CDC (generic 'Serial' supersede U(S)ART), Low/Full Speed, Fast (-O1), Newlib Nano (default)"

recipe.preproc.macros pattern is missing

Error compiling for board Generic STM32F4 series.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.
Not a clue on that one....
By Ajee
Hello

Been looking. Just want to add my two sents, so that things could go to the right direction.
Me personally looking just ECU for my 4cyl. So absolutely no special requests.
Seems Josh has decided to go for the Teensy because it is better to program. This is probably a good decicion form the point of making solid working project. As the Black STMF407 board is just from the wild. But Teensy is expensive!
I have some black boards already arrived. But at the moment Mega ordered and 0.4.3 board.
Comments about original boards: 0.4.3 first thing to notice is freestanding to-220 MOSFETS- not really sustainable design practice for the vibration environment (some hot glue or silicone needed to fix those). But the plus is that all those components are readily available (even just from junk box).
0.4.4b is going way off direction- no way to find those special dual protected mosfets. For the MOSFETS I would go for the standard single SO-8 MOSFETS such as Si4172DY (probably there are also protected versions available for those who fancy), also plenty of dirt cheap replacements(AOxxxx-series).
(Also I am not sure if the double mosfets can dissipate the injectors flyback energy without overheating, You tell).
So I go at the moment taking my chances with the standard 0.4.3 board that seems nice solid thing, and there is some chance I would get running, considering all other mechanical and sensors stuff that needs to be built. But dreaming about STM32 (BlackF4) with suitable MOSFETS.

Also about low impedance injector drivers. The way to go there is "half bridge MOSFET driver(for example IR2108S)" with two beforementioned N-channel transistors.

Do not know if I myself ever get to the point of designing the board, but at least those would be my directions to go in case.

Best regards
Teemo

It looks like you have a fuel supply issue. readin[…]

Will this have an updated version about this featu[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

I did the fix, but it's not work. I put my setti[…]

Perhaps some different points and pictures. Instr[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?