Help with building your Speeduino, installing it, getting it to run etc.
By gpineau
I am basing my decisions on what I see implemented by Kawasaki for a particular engine size. The 1400 cc engine is using a 380 cc/min injector and the 1000 cc engine is using 230 cc/min injector. If I do some math then 270 cc/min would be best fit 230 is not an order of magnitude away.

My 1000 cc engine ran fine on the highway with the 380 cc/min injectors but surged at low speed. I had done a lot of tuning in the garage at idle and low RPM so maybe it was speculation/hunch but I am going with the smaller injectors to see if they make a difference.

Now that the throttle bodies are outside the air-box and much easier to access I can change to any injector I have in less than an hour. If I don't like the way it performs I can always go back to the large injectors.

I have already made the switch so now it is a matter of making it run the best I can and make a decision later. But for now I need to change to an external map sensor. I want to use the MAP sensor that Kawasaki mounted right on the throttle body. Then make the built in MAPS a barometer.

Any help in pointing me at the firmware that needs changed . ??
By LPG2CV
in the first instance,It may be preferable to just substitute the new MAP for the old to ensure it is compatible.

Either remove the MAP from the board, or cut the 5v leg (with a view to re soldering it). Then take 5v and ground to the new MAP and connect signal to pin 11 on 40 pin connector.

The on board MAP has extra circuitry, so this may need to be duplicated for the pin eventually used for the external MAP.
Attachments
schematic v0.4.3_schem.png
schematic v0.4.3_schem.png (1.6 MiB) Viewed 5901 times
By gpineau
Thanks,
From what I see there is a power and ground filtering on speeduino. I think I will pick up 5v and gnd at the same place and run it to my external map sensor. If I lift pin 1 of the internal map I can connect my external one right there.

Then solder a 470 ohm resister to pin 1 and run a jumper over to A5 analogue input. Then tell tuner studio there is an external barometer on A5.

seem reasonable??
By LPG2CV
That sounds like plan. :D

If A5 is already occupied, then one of A10-A15 should be free as long as you've not added anything else external.

In the FW (202002) and assuming V04 board, it looks like you change A3 to A5 in init.ino at line 1089.

Dont forget, you new sensor is an unknown quantity.

Looking forward to how this comes out. :D
By LPG2CV
I havnt got it open in front of me. However ...
When you click on Settings - Baro, you can create the correction slope. At the moment its all set to zero's.

I put out a question out to Josh in slack on general.

Wont affect me much, as I live at sea level, but im very bored in isolation, so have startwd investigating this subject. :)

Perhaps you just set it for your local conditions and travel.

Its getting late here now, but ill share calculations tomorrow.

I used OMNI calculator
Atmospheric thermodynamics calculators if your interested
Air pressure, and air density
Dry air and zero temperature.
:)
By gpineau
Thanks guys. I managed to get it installed and calibrated.
Wanted to use the MAP sensor that came with the Kawasaki throttle bodies. To do this I lifted pin 1 of the existing speeduino MAP sensor and connected the output of the Kawasaki MAP sensor to the pad under the lifted pin. I picked up power and ground for the sensor at pins 2 & 3. I ran pin 1 of the old MAP sensor through a 470 resistor to the analogue pin A05 of the arduino. This now makes the Kawasaki sensor which is mounted on the throttle bodies the main MAP sensor or the ECU ant the original MAP sensor is now a barometer. To calibrate the Kawasaki sensor I set the 0 volt setting to 2 kpa and the 5 volt setting to 125 kpa. With these settings the MAP and Barometer meters tracked each other.

https://youtu.be/gyYeJQyZTVQ
By gpineau
Cleaned up the throttle cable extensions. The original cables were too short to go under the throttle bodies and reach the far side so I had to extend them.. I kept the original sheath and ends and bought a couple replacement cables that were long enough. After I threaded the new cables through the old sheath I measured the amount that it it would take to reach the bottom of the throttle bodies. Then I cut a couple pieces of sheath from another cable and slid it over the cable. Where the joints are, I drilled through an aluminum spacer so the both pieces of the sheath fit snugly into it. The part that mates with the throttle bodies was cut from the old cables and mated with the new cable I had constructed. Clear as mud right? It's easier to see in the photos. I would rather have a single cable sheath but I wanted to keep the ends that fit in the throttle handle and the throttle body.

Bored to death. I have done the warm up enrichment tune 3 times this week. Can't go for a tuning ride because we are restricted to essential errands only.
Heard a tapping noise in the top end so .. I am guessing the cam is slapping the cam follower but cant be sure unless I pull the valve cover,which I dread.

I broke down and pulled the valve cover. Glad I did.
I guess the valves have never been adjusted since the factory.
All of the intake valves had zero clearance. None whatsoever. And the exhaust were almost as bad.
Cylinder 1 exhaust had zero clearance.

Set the intakes to .007 and the exhaust to .009.
One thing for sure, the engine is louder than before. The valves are actually closing now. Before the adjustment I think most of the valves didn't actually seat. I can now hear the cam followers tapping on top of the valves where before they were always in contact.
I am going to start the tune over again. Shouldn't have changed much but certainly the vacuum and the compression have changed.
Attachments
4filter pods.JPG
4filter pods.JPG (93.51 KiB) Viewed 5719 times
2reuse old cable ends.JPG
2reuse old cable ends.JPG (77.83 KiB) Viewed 5719 times
1throttle cable splice.JPG
1throttle cable splice.JPG (74.06 KiB) Viewed 5719 times

Hi, I am trying to assign Signed values to the x-a[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

New version 202305 don't fix the issue. Now after[…]

blitzbox

I've finally figured out why MAP and Lambda weren'[…]

Hello, I bring news!! Let me tell you that after […]

Still can't find what you're looking for?