Any general discussion around the firmware, what is does, how it does it etc.
By Thaniel
Hello Everyone. First of Great job on this software. I've downloaded the source code for the firmware and have been looking through it and playing with it a bit on a bench setup. (ordered a couple speeduino boards to play with too) Anyway, very impressed with the work done here. And impressed with the people on this forum. Hope that at some point I can contribute to the work in some way.

About me. My son and I have done quite a bit with cars and Arduino's over the last 8 or so years. Typical kind of things, ipod to car integrations, cam and crank pulse simulators, EEPROM chip readers etc. But most of our time was spent with CAN bus. If there is any help that I could do there let me know.

Anyway my question, and sorry if I'm asking in the wrong place, is in regards to A/C request and control. My brother is using a speeduino on his Miata. And he asked if I could look at some issues he was having with triggering the A/C and getting the idle up to all happen at the right times etc. It appears to me a small A/C controller as part of the speeduino code would work well. I found some code posted sometime in the looked to be an A/C control section but I don't see anything in the released code (perhaps it was just suggested code). Before I go trying to add in some custom code for him thought I'd ask if I'm missing something in regards to the best way to do A/C control.

Thanks for any tips you can provide.

Thaniel
By dazq
Hello and welcome!

There is a simple idle up option whereby a input pin just raises the idle by a preset amount , but it is pretty simple.
Yes I recall the more detailed setup you refer to , it was not merged into the main code.

With regards to the canbus integration , it is work in progress , it is a quite complex thing to add covering the different platforms we potentially use. I will be submitting a further pr to add the OBD2 style port for teensy MCU for the next month's firmware release all things to plan , with the mega extension following later.
dazq wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:39 pm There is a simple idle up option whereby a input pin just raises the idle by a preset amount , but it is pretty simple.
Yes I recall the more detailed setup you refer to , it was not merged into the main code.
Thanks for verifying. Won't be wasting my time writing up something. The idle up is working but we would like to tie it to the A/C request with some logic. I'll see if I can edit up the code and get something to work.
dazq wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:39 pm With regards to the canbus integration , it is work in progress , it is a quite complex thing to add covering the different platforms we potentially use. I will be submitting a further pr to add the OBD2 style port for teensy MCU for the next month's firmware release all things to plan , with the mega extension following later.
Yes there is some very particular timings required for CAN bus, even once the messages are being passed correctly. Getting the messages formatted and the timing between the messages accurate enough that a car thinks it's coming from the OEM ECU can be very time sensitive. It will be interesting to see what is developed for the speeduino. Having CAN input and output can make things much easier to integrate into a vehicle with CAN bus.
Thaniel wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:51 am Thanks for verifying. Won't be wasting my time writing up something. The idle up is working but we would like to tie it to the A/C request with some logic. I'll see if I can edit up the code and get something to work.
There is no need for this?

Just have the activation of AC connected to the idle up input.
By Thaniel
theonewithin wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:08 am
Thaniel wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:51 am Thanks for verifying. Won't be wasting my time writing up something. The idle up is working but we would like to tie it to the A/C request with some logic. I'll see if I can edit up the code and get something to work.
There is no need for this?

Just have the activation of AC connected to the idle up input.
That is how it is currently wired, and the car stalls before the idle up has managed to effect a higher idle. Apparently the AC engages quickly and the idle up acts a little slower. A little press in the throttle when pushing the AC button keeps it from stalling when the AC is first engaged, but that is not very refined. And not good for letting others drive the car.
By Thaniel
theonewithin wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:26 am Is that an actual issue of the Speedy or slow acting IACV?

Have you done best practice timing map so max torque for timing is actually 1 cell below normal idle to help stop this?
It’s not my car. I’m just the programmer trying to give the owner what they asked for.

Oh in the OEM setup the AC was controlled by the ECU. In my experience with my cars, the ECU advances the idle is advanced BEFORE the AC clutch is engaged. Often the clutch doesn’t engage immediately when pushing the button and there is a slight lag.

Looking In the speeduino program it appears that sensing the sensors happens at a specific frequency which means that between signaling idle up and the program knowing that is wanted there will be a small delay. Then likely a small delay before it actually takes action (Don’t know how big as I’ve not measured the delay yet, but will try). With the ac button now wired directly to the ac relay the clutch engages without delay. This in theory would results in studders or stall on engagement. And the owner reports the same behavior. I’m more surprised that anyone gets it to work this way.

Anyway combine that with no ac cut at full throttle or over temp or low rpm and I’d say, yup the program could use a tweak. I found the old code that was proposed and it was trying to do more than I need. Sensing pressures etc. not necessary on this setup as the pressure sensor is in line with the relay. Just a simple check that RPM is above a minimum, tps isn’t max and the car isn’t overheating is all I’m planning on.
Programmer? So you are not a tuner???

You didn't say if you have setup your timing map to best practice for max torque to actually be I the cells below normal idle.

This would help.

Perhaps post a log and the tune.

Also you could setup closed loop idle control
Which should also help.
By Thaniel
That’s correct. Not a tuner. I turned on tuner studio for the first time a couple weeks ago to test that my speeduino custom firmware worked.

I have had some experience extracting .bins from factory ECUs but never tried to “tune” a car as mine are all factory and BMW does a good job out of the box. But I do know a lot about how cars computers are set up and the type of things the do. For example how factory ECU interact with the AC system.

Anyway back to the issue at hand. I’m not going to second guess my brothers work or troubleshooting of the issue. I don’t haven’t seen the car as he lives in a different state. I’m starting with the assumption that he needs what he asked for. And comparing the setup how it is now to how it was with the factory ECU I’d say a program change would be a good idea anyway.

I’ve seen the features for mapping aux inputs in TS. Are there instructions on what can be done with that? I’ve not found anything. I can hard code everything if that’s the best way.
theonewithin wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:15 pm Programmer? So you are not a tuner???

You didn't say if you have setup your timing map to best practice for max torque to actually be I the cells below normal idle.

This would help.

Perhaps post a log and the tune.

Also you could setup closed loop idle control
Which should also help.
By dazq
The auxin setup info can be found in the wiki.
At the moment the data can only be seen in TS or logged by TS.
I have begun the auxoutput side of things (which is in the firmware already) but it is work in progress as of now.
It would be very easy for you to use the auxin data to trigger an output pin if you wanted , the data is held in a current status struct variable for each input channel.

I think possible reasons for that would be: 1) loo[…]

It looks like you have a fuel supply issue. readin[…]

Will this have an updated version about this featu[…]

Perhaps some different points and pictures. Instr[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?