Any questions you have before you begin buying, building and installing.
By zoidberg
Hi there,
i am about to convert my 1981 Hymer bedford cf to efi, as i hope to get a bit better mileage than with the carb.

I already got a spare inlet manifold which will be fitted with fuel injectors, i got myself a lsu 4.9 and some smart coils (later more to that)

I would think that buying a 3.x board is the best choice because of screw terminals.

I don't really know if basic distributor is a good idea, it would make things easy as everything remains more or less unchanged, and tüv wont notice (which will probably happen when using smart coils)

How good is basic distributor working? I heard about problems.

I would use a pull up resistor and points to get a falling edge when TDC is reached for each cylinder.
At the moment i'm trying to get another distributor which i can modify without undoing the existing one.
what else (except the wideband controller) do i need?
By ric355
zoidberg wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:25 am
I would think that buying a 3.x board is the best choice because of screw terminals.
The screw terminals are not well suited to a live application. They have a tendency to vibrate loose. Use a 0.4 board or one of the other third party boards that has a proper connector.
By JHolland
zoidberg wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:25 am i am about to convert my 1981 Hymer bedford cf to efi, as i hope to get a bit better mileage than with the carb.
Its a thirsty engine. I had a Bedford CI Bedouin years ago, I did a VX4/90 overdrive conversion, it was relatively expensive but it imprived fuel consumption by around 10-20% and it was much quieter and more pleasant to drive. I ran an electronic ignition and that made the engine noticeably smoother, I am interested to see the results of an EFI conversion.
By ric355
zoidberg wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:59 am hmmm ok but isn't te problem with the third party boards that teensy support wont be easy?
There is at least one third party Teensy board. You didn't mention teensy in the original posting so how could I have considered that in my reply? You won't need a teensy to run your engine anyway.
By zoidberg
JHolland wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:05 am
zoidberg wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:25 am i am about to convert my 1981 Hymer bedford cf to efi, as i hope to get a bit better mileage than with the carb.
Its a thirsty engine. I had a Bedford CI Bedouin years ago, I did a VX4/90 overdrive conversion, it was relatively expensive but it imprived fuel consumption by around 10-20% and it was much quieter and more pleasant to drive. I ran an electronic ignition and that made the engine noticeably smoother, I am interested to see the results of an EFI conversion.
yes it definetaly is, i just converted it from 3 speed automatic to 4 speed manual to get the consumption a bit down, i mean the th180 is crap to be honest, without converter disabling...

I am still in the planning phase, but i'll let you know.

the first picture gallery is here, maybe i will start making videos of that stuff.
https://imgur.com/gallery/ngGjlqF
By zoidberg
ric355 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:06 am
zoidberg wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:59 am hmmm ok but isn't te problem with the third party boards that teensy support wont be easy?
There is at least one third party Teensy board. You didn't mention teensy in the original posting so how could I have considered that in my reply? You won't need a teensy to run your engine anyway.
hmm ok then i will ditch the teensy idea and take a seafox or even a no2c
By zoidberg
Hmmm OK now that is clear, another question. How good does basic distributor work? Can I trigger using the points a pull up and the vr conditioner?
Do I need a inlet air temperature sensor?
By theonewithin
zoidberg wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:42 pm Hmmm OK now that is clear, another question. How good does basic distributor work? Can I trigger using the points a pull up and the vr conditioner?
Do I need a inlet air temperature sensor?
I would only use basic distributor for fuel only. No ignition control.
By zoidberg
Hmmm OK... I will try to build a stealth build, maybe I will trigger with missing tooth but set one coil as output.
In Germany we have the "h kennzeichen" which means thee car is historic and cannot be changed, I need to work around that by hiding everything.

Is it a good idea to trigger the coil with an igbt?
Ignition Angle doubled?

I just erased the flash, went back to 2023-10, cre[…]

Doesn't look like you can edit posts? Correct. […]

BMW E23 M30B28

Don't forget, you can always fall-back to the &[…]

The basetunes were on so old version that they did[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?