Any general discussion around the firmware, what is does, how it does it etc.
By NickZ
this is something that has always puzzled me. is it ever going to get that hot while driving the car?
By infinityedge
NickZ wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:17 am this is something that has always puzzled me. is it ever going to get that hot while driving the car?
It might when it is inside the engine cover of an air cooled motorcycle engine with an alternator rectifier on the other side of the board. Best to spec everything to full on automotive rating if at all possible.
By theonewithin
infinityedge wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:25 am
NickZ wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:17 am this is something that has always puzzled me. is it ever going to get that hot while driving the car?
It might when it is inside the engine cover of an air cooled motorcycle engine with an alternator rectifier on the other side of the board. Best to spec everything to full on automotive rating if at all possible.
Not much hope of that when the brains behind everything isn't rated that high.
By infinityedge
theonewithin wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:47 am
infinityedge wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:25 am
Not much hope of that when the brains behind everything isn't rated that high.
Hence the reason to use a 125C rated microcontroller.
By dazq
Designing a device to meet automotive ratings is very involved, not just component selection but even layout design and post construction treatments and protections!
Just Selecting all the components to suitable standards will also multiply the build cost many times over :-(
By infinityedge
dazq wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:17 pm Designing a device to meet automotive ratings is very involved, not just component selection but even layout design and post construction treatments and protections!
Just Selecting all the components to suitable standards will also multiply the build cost many times over :-(
Yes. And?
By theonewithin
Yes and?

Obviously you don't understand what Speeduino is about.

Cheap is one of its main things.

There are no microcontrollers that it can run on that are "automotive rated" and unlikely ever will be.

Mainly because your particular requirement is niche.
By infinityedge
theonewithin wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:18 pm Yes and?

Obviously you don't understand what Speeduino is about.

Cheap is one of its main things.

There are no microcontrollers that it can run on that are "automotive rated" and unlikely ever will be.

Mainly because your particular requirement is niche.
The STM32F423ZHT3 isn't AEC-Q100 qualified yet, but it is fairly new to market. It does have a 125C temp rating and the datasheet says it is fully compatible with the F407 and I can't find any gotchas like memory size or number of timers that would make it not run speeduino.

Given that speeduino development is preferring the STM32F series over the SAMD/E, this micro is looking like the best bet for my needs.

(and even with the high temp rated components and PCB, it'll still be way cheaper than the alternatives while allowing for a level of customization not possible with commercial offerings)

I think possible reasons for that would be: 1) loo[…]

It looks like you have a fuel supply issue. readin[…]

Will this have an updated version about this featu[…]

Perhaps some different points and pictures. Instr[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?