Help with building your Speeduino, installing it, getting it to run etc.
By TZ350
I need some help here. My bike has started to run for a bit then just stop. Easy to start, runs for a bit, then stops. I put a scope on it to see what sort of signal it is getting for Crank Input VR1 at the Arduino Megga's pin 19.

The scope is set to 20V/ div. and the signal looks pretty much like the raw signal from the trigger pickup. I just need someone to confirm I am on the right track thinking that the the VR conditioner board has failed as the signal at pin 19 should be 0-5V.

Vido clip attached of the bike idling at 2000 rpm. The rpm in Tuning Studio jumps about the place a bit. The oscilloscope trace of the crank 24-1 trigger signal is towards the end. Is the VR conditioner limited to an input of 12V max, or should it be able to handle 50 - 60V Ok?

https://youtu.be/PORzjobca9Y
By NickZ
what is your laptop doing? you have the blue lines running along the top, the program is writing/reading something and the usb connection is having trouble reading data for the gauge updates, thats why rpm is jumping about, is it stopping while connected or when not connected also?
By PSIG
TZ350 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:03 amI need some help here. My bike has started to run for a bit then just stop. Easy to start, runs for a bit, then stops. I put a scope on it to see what sort of signal it is getting for Crank Input VR1 at the Arduino Megga's pin 19.

The scope is set to 20V/ div. and the signal looks pretty much like the raw signal from the trigger pickup. I just need someone to confirm I am on the right track thinking that the the VR conditioner board has failed as the signal at pin 19 should be 0-5V.
I would verify it is actually on 20V/div and your probe multiplier is set correctly, as it would appear as a good 5Vx10. It probably is, but silly things happen. Increase your time base to see the waveform better. Correct, the processor should only see 0-5V from the conditioner module. Other ways this could happen is a direct path from the sensor, e.g., wrong jumper setting, board short, etc.

David
By TZ350
The problem is recent and happens whether the laptop is connected or not, it is as if the trigger signal is dropping out after 30 - 50 seconds of running.

You were right, the probe multiplier was not set correctly before, thanks for the heads up. The signal at the Arduino Megas pin 19 now shows as 0-5 Volts.

I have had this bike working with EFI properly before. With it running for extended periods on the dyno and revving to 14,000 rpm. The issue of it stopping, just started after I up graded to the latest speedy firmware and after the upgrade it became very hard to start too.

I have gone back to an older firmware version that worked well before and that sorted the starting issues but I still have the same dropout problem. I wanted to check that the trigger signal was correct at pin 19 and it looks like it is so I am a bit puzzled.

Board is a V4. The jumper on JP2 and JP3 are both across VR and JP4 and JP5 are both off. I guess JP3 could also be off as there is no cam sensor.

https://youtu.be/K9pdXxtmPIM

The signal at pin 19 looks good all the way to the end. The engine is running a separate ignition and picks up at the very end after the fuel injection has stopped and the crankcase is clearing out. The speeding up at the end as it leans off is to be expected, its a normal two stroke thing.
By PSIG
Because rolling back has not fixed the issue, I would do an EEPROM wipe to clear any leftovers possibly there. Load one of the firmwares and try again.

David
By NickZ
its almost like its not even using the Speeduino to run, as the bike seems to be running perfect but the RPM signal on the ECU wouldn't be running that motor.
By TZ350
Thanks PSIG for the heads up about an EPROM wipe, I will do that.

Yes you are right NickZ. The Speedy with its 24- 1 tooth wheel is only controlling the fueling.

I have an Ignetec for the ignition. It uses a single tooth trigger, timing is fully adjustable, controls various features like the exhaust power valve, deto retard and supplementary fuel which I use to run an oil pump for direct crank oiling during over rev. I am very familiar with setting the ignition up with it. I only wanted to fight one Dragon at a time so I have stuck with the Ignitec for the ignition and took on the Speedy for fueling only.

The two triggers and the single tooth and 24 - 1 teeth shown below.
Attachments
24-1 trigger wheel.jpg
24-1 trigger wheel.jpg (2.08 MiB) Viewed 8264 times
Speedys new trigger..jpg
Speedys new trigger..jpg (3.14 MiB) Viewed 8264 times
By DaveyB
Hi TZ,

Sorry to hear things have gone backwards for the moment. My NSR project went proper down hill when the engine case cracked when tightening the engine case after fitting the crank. It's taken a while to get it tig'd and sorted, but hopefully today I'll start putting it back together.

I have finally got my head around the way you have used triggers to measure the air pressure in the crankcase, proper light bulb duh moment. Anyway, looking at the 16 column fuelling table it shows the fuelling starting at 3000rpm. This is probably a question for PSIG, but can extra columns be added through manipulating the software? Just wondering as the idle is normally around 1200rpm for my engine on carbs and don't want to lose the flexibility around the 6000rpm mark when the power valves start to move and the pipe starts to work which change the engine characteristics.
By JHolland
OEMs usually improve fuelling and timing by using non-linear RPM axis to track the torque curve more accurately. I don't recall if Speedy supports this, I did ask the question some time ago.

Hi, I am trying to assign Signed values to the x-a[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

New version 202305 don't fix the issue. Now after[…]

blitzbox

I've finally figured out why MAP and Lambda weren'[…]

Hello, I bring news!! Let me tell you that after […]

Still can't find what you're looking for?