For discussion of Speeduino compatible boards designed / built by other members of the forum and for guidance around making such a board
By pazi88
Update 2.8.2021: Rev 2.3 available: https://github.com/pazi88/Speeduino-M5x ... /Rev%202.3

Rev 2.3 PCBs at eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/184932329871

Operating instructions for assembled unit: https://github.com/pazi88/Speeduino-M5x ... tions.docx

////////////////////////////////////////////////// Original Post starts from here ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

After finishing the BMW M52 PnP speeduino PCB I got lot of request of m50 compatible PnP PCB. So this the thread for that. This will again be Speeduino v0.4.3 compatible, so it uses same pin mapping and components as far as it's possible. So no custom pin mapping etc. needed. There will be 6-pin minifit connector for wideband, fan, launch, boost, flexfuel and spare output for future features. There is also option to use baro sensor and for future closed loop VVT, the m50 vanos will have cam input too using stock hall sensor. The stock VR-crank sensors can be used and there is option to also use hall sensor for crank.

The PCB will fit this style of Bosch Motronic ECU cases and uses all the original hardware. So the PCB just replaces the original one.

The same ECU casing is used at least in BMW m42,m50 non-vanos, m50 vanos and m60 engines. With almost the same pinout. So I'm designing the PCB so that it can be used with all of those engines.

This is the ECU that I'm using for measuring and mock-up. It's m50 vanos ecu:

Arduino mega barely fits inside but fits:

Current situation is that I have created the Bosch motronic connector in Easy EDA and also done the tedious job of drawing the PCB and holes for exact locations they need to be. And also placed the TO220's so that the original heatsinks of the casing can be used:

Now it's just matter of fitting all the components and creating the traces, which should be fairly easy job. But it looks like that I may have some problems because of how the mega is oriented inside the casing.
Last edited by pazi88 on Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:53 am, edited 18 times in total.
By Broke4speed
Watching!
I've got a couple of these in my stash, and again, while I don't have a BMW...I'll probably build one :). I really like the M52 one you did, and this one is already shaping up nicely. Especially due to the VR inputs :).

Going to build the VR input onboard or just add spots for the current MAX A2 conditioner board?
By pazi88
I'm doing it same way as it is on official speeduino board, so with external module. That's mostly because It makes DIY soldering really easy. I might add possibility to solder max9926 directly on the PCB if there is room for that. The SMD components might fit underside of the PCB.
By Broke4speed
pazi88 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:00 pm I'm doing it same way as it is on official speeduino board, so with external module. That's mostly because It makes DIY soldering really easy. I might add possibility to solder max9926 directly on the PCB if there is room for that. The SMD components might fit underside of the PCB.
Perfect. I prefer DIY-soldering stuff, but I'm really not good at SMD. Having the option to build the VR circuit underneath or use the onboard module on top would be pretty slick, but only if it doesn't make it overly complicated at your end. Can't wait to see what you do :).
By pazi88
Any opinions on this. I made so that you can change between engines using jumper wires:

In this case in would be:
M40: JP 8
M50 NV: JP 3,5,9
M50 vanos: JP 1,3,5,9
M60: JP 1,2,6,7

Too complicated? Or any other ideas how to do that. Best would be to have separate PCB's but the differences between engines come to how the injectors and coils are paired, so it's bit wastefull. And because speeduino doesn't have 6 or 8 cyl sequential, this can't be done in pin configurations. The dip-switches are out because the selection needs to be done in high current side. Those jumper wires can easily carry the needed current and can be put into that location which wouldn't be in use otherwise.
By Raku
pazi88 wrote:Any opinions on this. I made so that you can change between engines using jumper wires:

In this case in would be:
M40: JP 8
M50 NV: JP 3,5,9
M50 vanos: JP 1,3,5,9
M60: JP 1,2,6,7

Too complicated? Or any other ideas how to do that. Best would be to have separate PCB's but the differences between engines come to how the injectors and coils are paired, so it's bit wastefull. And because speeduino doesn't have 6 or 8 cyl sequential, this can't be done in pin configurations. The dip-switches are out because the selection needs to be done in high current side. Those jumper wires can easily carry the needed current and can be put into that location which wouldn't be in use otherwise.
i think that's the only way possible. ill be better to add the jumper config to the silkscreen too.

It looks like you have a fuel supply issue. readin[…]

Will this have an updated version about this featu[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

I did the fix, but it's not work. I put my setti[…]

Perhaps some different points and pictures. Instr[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?