For general talk about the Speeduino project itself. Future plans, legal stuff, meta etc.
By daniel.ashford
Hi folks.

I'm well underway with my conversion. So far I have modified my inlet manifold to accept electronic injectors.
I drilled out to 20mm where the CIS injectors were located and bonded in some Injector bungs, suitably cut to length.
Injectors were stripped, cleaned and new Pintels, filters and O Rings fitted.

I am part way through fuel rail construction. Photos give you a clue how I am feeding the injectors. The rail will be mounted using some stud where the rocker cover locates. I've used AN6 and you can see 12.7mm barbs.

Finally I am going to modify the distributor to act as a Cam sensor. You can see the 6 reluctor points. I have a spare dizzy that I could salvage another of these to create a 11-1 missing tooth. Is the trigger likely to be a Hall Sensor already? Obviously need to disconnect the armature.

Cheers!
By PSIG
daniel.ashford wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:02 pm Hi folks.

I'm well underway with my conversion. So far I have modified my inlet manifold to accept electronic injectors.
I drilled out to 20mm where the CIS injectors were located and bonded in some Injector bungs, suitably cut to length.
Injectors were stripped, cleaned and new Pintels, filters and O Rings fitted.
Hi Daniel! Looking good, and a method used in many, many conversions. Image Those injectors are good for ~28 lb/hr (300cc) at 43.5 psi (3 BAR), so it looks like you're good to upwards of 300hp with a comfortable duty cycle margin. Expecting boost? ;)
daniel.ashford wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:02 pmI am part way through fuel rail construction. Photos give you a clue how I am feeding the injectors. The rail will be mounted using some stud where the rocker cover locates. I've used AN6 and you can see 12.7mm barbs.
Be sure to use EFI-rated fuel hose. Over here, it's SAE J30R9 or better (example here). The injectors are not designed to retain hose, and the seal is the o-ring in a properly-sized and retained sleeve connector. These sleeve "hats" or "bungs" are available online, as takeoffs of other engines*, or DIY such as some I made by resizing PEX brass tubing connectors, or tubing cutoffs. Else, the injector inlet could possibly be modified with a barb profile to hold perhaps, but I have no info for that. In any case — be careful with those connection at the pressures they will see. :!: Standard fabrication disclaimer: No one's making you do this. Use your own judgment. It's your butt and you're on your own. ;)
daniel.ashford wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:02 pmFinally I am going to modify the distributor to act as a Cam sensor. You can see the 6 reluctor points. I have a spare dizzy that I could salvage another of these to create a 11-1 missing tooth. Is the trigger likely to be a Hall Sensor already? Obviously need to disconnect the armature.
Several things here, so a random list:
  • You will have to verify with testing; but it appears to be a VR pickup, with two signal wires and a chassis (distributor body) ground.
  • The pickup aligns with 5 of the 6 teeth at each trigger point. This is usually to increase a VR signal amplitude.
  • Doubled wheels must have the teeth aligned with the pickup points to be "seen".
  • A missing tooth among others will not be seen, as the other teeth are simultaneously detected.
  • Pickup points could be removed to allow missing tooth detection, but the signal would likely be degraded.
  • Likewise, a single tooth would be seen 5 times per cycle, and the same issue with removing trigger points.
  • The distributor uses internal mechanical and vacuum advance, which should be locked-out, but can sometimes be used to lock rotor phasing at an acceptable angle while simultaneously providing an acceptable trigger angle.
  • It may be possible to convert to Hall in order to enable easier/better use of your ideas. Testing will give you answers.
  • I hope that helps!
David

Flexible-rail injector "hats" can be sourced from other setups, such as this general type used by some BMWs, Ducatis, new from MSD, Kinsler, etc., and DIY types:
Ducati 900 Fuel Rail Single Injector.png
Ducati 900 Fuel Rail Single Injector.png (87.47 KiB) Viewed 14673 times
Thanks for the reply David.

Yes, hybrid T3/T4 boost will be on the cards later, hence the injector rating.

The fuel hose is injection rated and good for 20 bar. The injectors don't have a barb, but I have seen other setups use a clip on the input. If I leave the inlet o ring off it might create a feature to clamp around. Trial and improvement will happen here to ensure the hose doesn't simply blow off or leak with the fuel pressure. The hose is very stiff so I'll see.

Thanks for the explanation of the dizzy. I've not really looked in to how it works yet. For sure vacuum will be disconnected. I'll see if I can make it work with the current pickups. If not, I'll treat it like a crank trigger wheel setup. Cheers

It looks like you have a fuel supply issue. readin[…]

Will this have an updated version about this featu[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

I did the fix, but it's not work. I put my setti[…]

Perhaps some different points and pictures. Instr[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?