For anything not related to Speeduino, but still about car/bike/boat/engines etc
By daChurchPcGuy
Here is my thread documenting the small engine EFI system I purchased on Aliexpress for my scooter as promised.

I paid for the version with TPS,MAT, and O2 sensor. I received a throttle body with what looks like TPS,MAT, and MAP installed. I didn't think they had a version without the MAP sensor since they advertise the combined triple sensor. The throttle body appears to be of good quality, the outlet side of it is polished and the casting is on par with the Chinese carbs I buy for my scooters. It is larger than my engine requires, but it's the size I wanted, 28mm ID. I'll need to get a new intake before I can install it.

Here's a copy of the instructions provided with the kit "". Okay that was easy. If you understand engines it's brain dead simple. Most of the connections are labelled and every device has a different connector I didn't get the version with CDI so there's no CDI connector. There is a spare wire that's taped to the loom, I assume that's meant to go to the CDI trigger to replace the current trigger wire. The kit uses the existing CDI trigger for RPM and TDC calculations. There's a wire thet you need to connect into your existing system.

The ECU has no connector, it comes wired with only the connections required for small engines. The box was sealed and had a tamper resistant label over one of the screws. No warranty for me, I opened it. The board doesn't resemble any Megasquit or Microsquirt board I can find an image of. The main processor is different, unless it's just a new packaging of the processor that Megasquirt doesn't use.

I'll plug it in when I get a chance to see what it returns for model information.
Attachments
ECU opened
ECU opened
20170426_091928.jpg (2.26 MiB) Viewed 8690 times
Sensor ports
Sensor ports
20170426_085519.jpg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 8690 times
Sensor Connections
Sensor Connections
20170426_085513.jpg (950.75 KiB) Viewed 8690 times
By noisymime
Interesting stuff! I'm really curious to see how this one turns out.

That board is a strange looking thing. The chip in your picture looks more like RAM or EEPROM than an MCU, but next to impossible to tell with no markings on it. I also can't see anything that really looks like injector drivers at all. Can you see whether there's anything on the other side of the board as well?
By daChurchPcGuy
That's the board, the back just has a couple caps and the drivers. They're attached to the case so I can't get a great picture, but you can see enough.

I connected to it with Putty and typed in Q and got the following "MSII Rev 2.88000".
Attachments
back of the board.jpg
back of the board.jpg (1.3 MiB) Viewed 8661 times
By daChurchPcGuy
The @#$! software that works with it doesn't support com8 or above! I had to reconfigure my com port to get a connection.

I can't do anything else with it until my new intake manifold comes in. The throttle body is for the larger GY6, exactly what I wanted to ensure maximum air flow.
By noisymime
daChurchPcGuy wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:59 amI connected to it with Putty and typed in Q and got the following "MSII Rev 2.88000".
Yep, that's definitely running the Megasquirt firmware then (Which it won't be licensed to do).

You can probably connect to it through TunerStudio actually, though it may have some protections in place to not connect to non-genuine hardware.

Thanks for posting the update, I've been curious about these systems for a while.
By PSIG
Fascinating. Didn't Speeduino legally report an MS signature at one time in order to connect to TunerStudio? Any chance this is a similar case as I don't want to spread accusations unless confirmed or validated and dead-sure. There are plenty of people still doing that to Speeduino.
:?
David
By daChurchPcGuy
I actually tried the regular version of tuner studio and it wouldn't connect, it had an unrecognized system error. I have to use the version they sent or I can't connect.

I think they started using clone hardware and software and migrated to their own platform. They may have left the ECU designation as a matter of convenience to avoid rewriting some of the initial handshaking code.
By PSIG
Out of respect for product licensing; you might want to send a note directly to B&G and just ask. At least you will positively know where it stands (and why) when you chat with people about it. Some folks rightfully feel strongly about the issue.

David
By daChurchPcGuy
PSIG wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:29 pm Out of respect for product licensing; you might want to send a note directly to B&G and just ask. At least you will positively know where it stands (and why) when you chat with people about it. Some folks rightfully feel strongly about the issue.

David
Done, waiting for reply
By daChurchPcGuy
I'm still combing the Internet for clues and found a note about the hardware requiring little endian support, which the Megasquirt hardware doesn't require. If that's true then the string returned by the Q query was just a hack to use an older version of tuner studio.

I have asked the supplier if they would sell the other EFI system they have without the ECU. The other system uses a plug connector that I could modify to use with Speeduino. It also doesn't require a fuel pump, VERY important for small engines with limited 12V output.

Hi, I am trying to assign Signed values to the x-a[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

New version 202305 don't fix the issue. Now after[…]

blitzbox

I've finally figured out why MAP and Lambda weren'[…]

Hello, I bring news!! Let me tell you that after […]

Still can't find what you're looking for?