Help with building your Speeduino, installing it, getting it to run etc.
By gpineau
Replaced bad fuel regulator and runs better,
Found the map vacuum line lying on the floor. Reattached, runs better.
Broken connection in the injector harness was preventing injector 4 from working. runs better.

Idle is a little rough. RPM at idle wanders up and down. Revs very nice and quick to respond to throttle.
Getting better each little fix.

For tomorrow. I see on tuner studio that the AFR is not changing. Hope it is a simple fix.

https://youtu.be/mWk_e6zz_u8
By gpineau
When in doubt read the frigging manual.
I scanned through the manual looking for O2 sensor and found the sentence that said it required calibration.

Really can't figure out how to calibrate but I found a preconfigured wide band controller that matched the readings on my dial.

Does anyone know how to enter your own values? Those fields are always grayed out.

I was feeling frugal when I was shopping for a wide band controller and ended up using APSX D2 Digital Wideband O2 Air Fuel Ratio Controller All-in-One I dont like it as much as my 14.7 but I am going to try to make it work.

So now the AFR is in somewhat normal range. Bouncing between 12.5 and 13.4 AFR. Everything I do to this bike makes it run just a little better.

Aha! I figured out how to enter custom widband information into the setup. So now Tuner Studio reads the same as my wide band gauge.
By gpineau
Well I was hoping to finish this up before the really cold weather came but looks like this is going to drag out till spring.
I applied for a job online last week never thinking I would get it but I did. And they called today asking me to start a week early. Now I will be limited to my days off for working on the bike.

I played with the VE table a little and now it is very smooth and is not wondering around like before. I know it is getting close. It starts the second of hitting the starter button. If it doesn't then a little throttle will get it running.

I think it is ready for a road test but it is not street legal yet. Needs lamps, turn signals headlamp all wired up. I'm not even sure if the brakes work. When it is street legal I will switch on auto tune and go for a drive.
By Hasse.69
So nice to see your progress and how you fing and fix small errors on the way.
Realy inspiring :mrgreen:
By gpineau
I worked on overnight shift and decided that is not for me. On my feet for 10 hours and now I am near cripple.
So I am back to my Kawasaki (for a while at least). I got a cute 8 inch windows 10 tablet and I am really liking it. I really can't use it yet for speeduino because I am waiting for a mini Bluetooth keyboard/mouse to arrive from Amazon.
But while I am waiting I have installed the Arduino build tools, tuner studio, and the log viewer.

Since I have decided to give Alpha-N a try I will start a new project and download the latest speeduino code and start over from scratch.
By PSIG
Rockin' it! Image I would suggest you end this phase of the project at an appropriate point, and link a new thread when you move-on to tuning setup and tuning. There is a ton of info here for how you got the bike hardware conversion to this point, will have a ton more specific to then tuning and running it, and readers will likely want info on one or the other at any given point. ;)

David
By gpineau
Per Davids suggestion I will wrap up this section.
This has been an exercise of theory, discovery, improvisation and invention.

What I have done to this point is to build a working EFI retrofit for a Kawasaki ZG1000.

It is difficult to start when cold but once warmed up is very responsive to throttle. Now it is time to the tuning phase.
Initial attempts at tuning have proved difficult because of the low vacuum in the small plenum between the carbs and the head. A simple vacuum canister has helped somewhat but still the full range of the VE table is not accessible.

For this reason I will change the fueling algorithm from speed density to Alpha-N.
next (viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3263)

Some things learned to carry forward into tuner studio setup are attached.
Attachments
c1.JPG
c1.JPG (44.52 KiB) Viewed 7211 times
c2.JPG
c2.JPG (63.66 KiB) Viewed 7211 times
c3.JPG
c3.JPG (94.39 KiB) Viewed 7211 times
By gpineau
I had a major setback. While chasing a problem with the throttle position sensor I accidentally fried the hall effect crank sensor. I had to make a new one which took a couple days for the epoxy to cure. Checked the new one on the bench ad getting a really good square wave signal. Installed it in the bike and just as good. So time to button it up and get back to chasing the TPS problem.

I made this one using the old wire from the original Kawasaki sensor coil harness. I suspect it has a much higher heat rating than normal off the shelf wire. Also when I made this one I clipped the sensor pins short so that they are inside the epoxy. Then I made the solder joints on the pins so that the solder joints are also inside the epoxy. Discovered an easy way to hold the sensor in place while the epoxy hardens....put a magnet on the outside of the mold!

Photos are from the bench test jig.
Attachments
20191203_182008[1].jpg
20191203_182008[1].jpg (6.75 MiB) Viewed 6680 times
bench1.jpg
bench1.jpg (3.93 MiB) Viewed 6683 times
bench 2.jpg
bench 2.jpg (4.61 MiB) Viewed 6683 times
Bench3.jpg
Bench3.jpg (4.89 MiB) Viewed 6683 times
Last edited by gpineau on Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By gpineau
Signal after install in bike.
Attachments
20191208_102454.jpg
20191208_102454.jpg (4.08 MiB) Viewed 6682 times
20191208_102511.jpg
20191208_102511.jpg (4.16 MiB) Viewed 6682 times
20191208_102529.jpg
20191208_102529.jpg (3.32 MiB) Viewed 6682 times
By gpineau
In an attempt to reduce the discrepancy between the wide band controller measure of AFR and Tuner studio display of AFR, I made some changes to the power and grounds. I isolated the power and ground of the fuel pump. The fuel pump is now powered through a EMI filter via a separate relay controlled by speeduino.

Speeduino and the wide band controller, power and ground pins are tied directly together and shortened to just a few inches. Speeduino, the wide band controller, and fuel injectors are powered by a separate relay that is picked when the ignition switch is on.

Also added a 10,000mf cap to power of both speeduino and the wide band controller as well a .01 uf cap on the output signal of the wide band controller.
Attachments
interconnections.JPG
interconnections.JPG (118.28 KiB) Viewed 6467 times

Hi, I am trying to assign Signed values to the x-a[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

New version 202305 don't fix the issue. Now after[…]

blitzbox

I've finally figured out why MAP and Lambda weren'[…]

Hello, I bring news!! Let me tell you that after […]

Still can't find what you're looking for?