Help with building your Speeduino, installing it, getting it to run etc.
By stum
Hello All.

What a great project speeduino is, and a big thanks to all who have gotten it this far.

I have a V0.4.4 (?) board that I have purchased from the store with the VR board. It is currently running the 2017.05 software. I have connected it to a Toyota 3L DOHC V6 (3VZ_FE) using the standard Plug (cut off the Toyota ECU). And all has been good to this stage. Except for Operator error.

I have 3d printed a new gear plate to bolt into the standard ECU box which and I have mounted speedy on to that.. It also has a Inovate LC2 connected up.

To this point I have found all the info I have needed to get it to Start and Run. Idle ->2000 RPM mapped. And I think it starts and runs better than factory.

A few Ooops along the way have been.
  • When I first got it to start it was running rough and the RPM's where way off between tuner studio and the rev counter. Helps to set it to a single coil, not 3. helped a lot.

Next it would not rev past 3000rpm. this had me stumped or a while.... took about 3 days to sort. it was the Coil Dwell. once set to realistic values for a single coil. Zoom Zoom to 7000rmp. Oh Yea.
This allowed me to start and map the car. All was going well, except the idle, as I had not control. Was idling at about 2000 rpm. So I disconnected the air feed to the stepper, and we could carry on.

Now that I was happy It was getting close to road tests, but needed to sort the Idle as it would cut out when you took your foot off the gas. So I splashed out and bought the DRV8825 to control the stepper.

This is where I have hit the wall, and cannot find out enough info to fault find past this point.
  • I have soldered the header pins onto the board. And using my digital magnifying glass (AKA phone camera) all looks good.
    I have tested the connections from header pins to ECU pins all good there. (Once they where attached to the correct ECU pins. Ooops)
    I have removed and cleaned the Stepper valve. Was a bit gunky. but moves free now.
    Ive had it in the car. played with cranking and idle settings. ign on, cranking......... not moving.
    I have enabled stepper open loop in tuner studio. 300 steps closed. 4 min steps. 4ms Steps. And DRV8825 current limit at full clock wise.
Is some one able to help please? I have a few questions. That will help me. or some guidance.
With Speedy powered up ign on, car not running . will changing the idle values Move the stepper?
Is there a manual way to control the idle valve. ie move in or out with a button press (some where)
Some other test method that will help.

Cheers and thanks for your time, and efforts. I will attaché pictures etc when I get some more time.

StuM
By dazq
Your mention of a hardware test for stepper valve is a good one and has been mentioned before, it would be a useful tool to add to the hardware test page. I have a stepper on my rover k series I just got so something to look at....
By stum
ImageHi Thanks Dazq, well that answers one of my question. Now hopefully someone else has some other words of wisdom.

Right, here are some pictures:

Ready to put into car, for the first time, taped to a lunch box lie
download/file.php?mode=view&id=2490

In its proper case and 3d printed gear plate and locations
download/file.php?mode=view&id=2493
download/file.php?mode=view&id=2494

O2 sensor mounted
download/file.php?mode=view&id=2495

Regards stum
Attachments
Add description
Add description
O2_Sensor.jpg (2.38 MiB) Viewed 10932 times
Add description
Add description
NewCase2.jpg (2.65 MiB) Viewed 10932 times
Add description
Add description
NewCase1.jpg (2.33 MiB) Viewed 10932 times
By stum
Hi Again.

My journy on the IAC - Stepper continues. Still not working yet :(

Spent some more time on it. and ready for the next round of question, hopefully some one can shed some light on them.

In Tuner Studio I found a screen that showed a tabular view of the values in Speedy. There where two that related to Idle. One was labled Idle, Cannot remember the other one. (im at work so cannot look it up)
Do these in any way relate to the Stepper Idle steps.?? (I would espect so but dont know how)

The next question is for someone who knows the code. It is around the sequence of events.
When is the stepper motor homed. - Power On??? Some other event
When is the Cranking steps added. (one would assume when cranking is detected. Engine RPM over 0 RPM, but less than running RPM (Tuner studio setting 600-800rpm sh). is this on top of the steps/Temp values
Also when is the Temprature steps added. when RPM > 0. Or after zero. Or????

Thanks again.
By stum
Think I am on top of it now.

Working on the Assumption that Cranking Steps would be applyed when cranking. I have been able to track down my issue.

It was a bad cable between the idc40 pin on speedy and the ECU plug. it tested ok with the meter, but would not carry any current. therefore no stepper action.

A few things that I have found out along the way, which may be of some help to someone.

NOT all DRV8825 steppermotor controllers are the same. Some chinese ones have the current limiting pot wired back to front. ie full current is anti clock wise. A simple test I have found for this which works most of the time (thanks to the 3d printer guy's) is to put your volt meter between ground (0V) and the center of the Pot. and adjust to Max voltage. It needs to be powered up with 12V for this to work correctly.

To test if your stepper is working. Pull the valve off the manifold so you can see it (make sure its still pluged it, else it wont work for some reason :) ). Set Crank and idle steps (temp/steps) to 0 around the curret temp. Put your foot flat on the gas (putting speedy into flood clear, so no gas) and crank for 5 seconds. if all is good the stepper will move to 0 (or pritty close to. Then go back to the two maps and crank them up high. and foot flat and crank again. stepper should (will) open the valve. This will show it works and is wired correctly. If it works backwords you need to swap one pair of wires on the stepper either 1a and 1b OR 2a and 2b (so I beleive).

This is as far as I have got. Ran out of Gas, so more testing once I full her up. But its looking good.
By stum
It Lives.... and runs. Idle control trys to work, but ive been chasing my tail. between home steps, cranking steps etc. But I think its getting better.

Also chasing an issue around dwell and spark time. Ive settled on 4ms Dwell and 1ms spark. and this seams to have it sorted.

I was getting a bit down chasing my tail, but it was running ok, so took it down the road and let some smoke out of the tires. even in its semi tuned state, its the best its ever gone, leaving a couple of big long black stripes :)

So with energised again we continue.

Bit the bullet and upgraded to the lattest firmware. I have been dredding this. but was easier than expected. Oh Yea. so now running the lattest, and this has defenatly made a difference.

Unfortunatly with all this dicking around with the idle and Speedy in and out I had not conected up by wide band 02. And running it not hooked up has not been kind on the sensor. Its dead. RIP. Apply money and a new one is on its way.
By stum
Another update. The new O2 sensor has arived, but not installed yet. I have been focusing on the engines new home.

Still need to sort fan control and then Auto tune. Luckly I have a spare engine and trans.

Next round of the 4x4 nationals is on Dec 10, and time is a running out.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=2553
Attachments
Add description
Add description
Truck_3.jpg (2.43 MiB) Viewed 10766 times
By stum
Its a 4x4 Trails truck (thats what we call them in NZ), a bit like a rock crawler in the US. but with out the rocks.

Its like Trials motorbikes but in a 4x4. If you google "suzuki extreme 4x4 challenge" there are some photo's and utube vid's of some of the top trucks. Its great fun. Just apply time and money :) Like any motor sport

Had it running for a short period again. Same as […]

Ok, here is the first version of the adapter plate[…]

Ignition Angle doubled?

don't load your old tune in case it is corrupted[…]

Yes, totally wrong setting. Slight noise in TPS ca[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?