Any questions you have before you begin buying, building and installing.
By PSIG
Away from the magnets. Magnets will affect Hall sensors of any type. Yon may require (or want) a cover or housing hole to place the (any type) sensor and allow adjustment (if needed). That method is common, especially for some chain- or tooth-drive timing systems under covers, where it can be mounted through the cover to read the existing or added teeth. Optical sensors are not as common; but they can certainly work well if you can keep it clean, have a concept and place that you can cope with, and the means to do it. Use what works for you, as each of us has different tools, skills, and conceptions—not to mention completely different stuff (dimensions, materials, clearances, etc.) we are working on.
David
By Böhn
Thanks for the clarification, I couldn't imagine hall sensors not picking up the flux. My battery is only 4Ah so without the magnets my lighting wouldn't last very long and I would have to charge the battery every time.

I am seriously considering the optical approach. I already designed part of a new flywheel because my stock one has randomly drilled holes on the top side (balancing I guess) that don't line up with my pattern. It also took a beating once when I forgot to tighten the nut and it popped of at 10k rpm, so it might be time for a fresh one.

My design is made from aluminium instead of steel so I made it a little beefier (5mm instead of 3mm thick). It also reuses the stock flange to reduce complexity and costs, and ensure compatibility with my flywheel puller, keyway, crankshaft and so on. The pattern I used is 24-1 and I made it black to reduce light reflecting via the flywheel to the sensor in order to avoid noise. And it looks much cooler 8-). The sensor mounts will be 3D printed.
By dazq
From what i understand psig just said u dont have to drill through for the hole pattern , just a small depression with a swuare end drill or an end mill or the like should give a sharp signal change?
By Böhn
I know, but if I use flywheel/alternator as the timing disc, whatever sensor I use will inevitably be very close to the magnets. I think both hall and VR sensors will suffer from noisy signals when they're in close proximity to spinning magnets. That's why I'm going for an optical pickup.
By PSIG
That's probably a good call, fairly easy to implement, and still has the simple digital output signal for the ECM. For others with similar circumstances—another home optical disc method would be plunge slots with a cutoff wheel or saw if you have stability. Mark around the circumference (dividers, combination square, printed tape or wheel, etc), set a fence guide on a table wheel, chop saw or band saw, and push it in or drop it down. Or drill it. ;) Lots of ways to do wheels at home accurately.
David

It looks like you have a fuel supply issue. readin[…]

Will this have an updated version about this featu[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

I did the fix, but it's not work. I put my setti[…]

Perhaps some different points and pictures. Instr[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?