Any questions you have before you begin buying, building and installing.
Hi guys,

First post on the forum!

I'm looking to convert my TR6 (currently dual ZS Carbs) to a modern EFI system. I have already purchased a complete Speeduino v .4.3 rev B, and I am looking for a little help in sorting out the pieces I will need to get the project off the ground.

I already have all the various required sensors & manifold (all GM), modified my gas tank for a return line, purchased a Walbro style fuel pump... now it is time to start figuring out how I will wire everything up to work with the Speeduino.

The TR6 is a straight 6 engine; with a trigger wheel and sensor, can I run sequential injection? What should I do about supplying spark? Can I continue to use the existing distributor in the TR6, or should I move to coil packs? The distributor has been converted from points to Pertronix. If I were to move to a coil pack arrangement, which would you recommend? I've read about the EDIS systems, but I have never used them - the most modern spark equipment I have played with was an Optispark on my 95 Camaro LT1.

As for the harness, is there a cable plug with multi colored wires that I can use that you folks recommend? The IDC style cables all seem to be 1 color (or, a band of 6 colors repeated). Or is there a source out there for different auto wire colors I can use to make my own connector?

Any help and knowledge donations are appreciated!

Tyler
A lot of the questions you are on selection of parts will be personal choices I am afraid.
Coil packs over distributor for example, up to you, BUT which ever you choose you will need a better trigger source as even with an electronic points replacement the resolution will be insufficient.
Please re-read the wiki regarding sequential.
If you use 6ch for sequential fuel you will be limited to a simpler spark control if you use a mega based board.
We don't use or support edis spark .

Connectors, well take your pick and choose what suits you best! Anything from reuse of the old ECU connector to aircraft quality mil spec etc and everything in between.
I read that others who have embarked on this conversion used the Ford EDIS 6 wasted spark system, so what you are saying about resolution makes sense. They have all used Megasquirts, however. What ignition system would you recommend if EDIS is not supported?

The selection of sensors and such, I stuck with GM because it's what I have on hard, along with an assortment of connectors and an old 93 camaro harness.

What i meant about the connector question: was wondering about the IO port on the speeduino board, its a 40 pin IDC/IDE style connector and was wondering if there is an off the shelf connector I could use, rather than just getting an old 40 pin IDC/IDE... I am guessing that is what folks do, and then just splice the wires they want to use into that. Is that correct?

I will re-read the Wiki on sequential for inline 6...
tylerwerrin wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:34 pm I read that others who have embarked on this conversion used the Ford EDIS 6 wasted spark system, so what you are saying about resolution makes sense. They have all used Megasquirts, however. What ignition system would you recommend if EDIS is not supported?

The selection of sensors and such, I stuck with GM because it's what I have on hard, along with an assortment of connectors and an old 93 camaro harness.

What i meant about the connector question: was wondering about the IO port on the speeduino board, its a 40 pin IDC/IDE style connector and was wondering if there is an off the shelf connector I could use, rather than just getting an old 40 pin IDC/IDE... I am guessing that is what folks do, and then just splice the wires they want to use into that. Is that correct?

I will re-read the Wiki on sequential for inline 6...
Speeduino is going to be your ignition system!
If they used edis 6 then they must have fitted a 36-1 trigger wheel, that is perfectly useable with speedy. What you don't need is the edis6 module ( it is not supported or needed)
Coil pack wise, what fits your install??
Plenty of choices, dumb coil packs with external drivers, smart coil packs in single to 6ch types, or even cop coil packs, your choices will be based on what you can source ,what fits and most of all what you like/want to use!

Yes you could split up a idc /IDE drive cable but the wires can be horrifically thin, better to get good quality IDc connectors and ribbon cable or get cable shells and populate with individual pins, I use 2x20 pin Dupont shells on my v04 builds and terminate the other ends in a suitable connector to the loom.i have used old ECU connector ,new Tyco multipin automotive connectors or molex panel mounted connectors, dependant on the enclosure you will be using will guide you in that choice.
Another option to terminate the idc40 connector is to design a PCB that *converts* that pinnout to a PCB connector of your choice, again many have done so with various types of connector.
Great, I'll pick up the 2x20 DuPont connector and just build my own out from there. It would be cool to actually replace the 40 pin connector on the Speeduino board, but since my board is already pre-assembled, I don't really want to take it off right now.

As for the coil pack suggestions, thank you - I didn't realize how many different varieties of coil packs there are. For the TR6, because of how the heads are oriented and how the plugs stick out of the head and are close to the Alternator & distributor, I don't think VR6 Coil On Plug would work. I believe the best option would be a wasted-spark option - off the top of your head do you know of a good 6 cylinder wasted spark option with built in igniters are?
The vr6 coil pack vw used IS a smart 6 output wasted spark unit, not cop, it uses normal flexy leads.
Please search on this forum as details on its wiring etc have been discussed before.
I contacted the fellow who builds the TR6 manifolds and he suggests to use the distributor method for timing as the TR6 engine is fairly inefficient with a very flat curve. I mentioned the issue with a low resolution signal, but I haven't heard back from him yet. Is there a way to boost the tach signal? It would certainly be an easier project to stick with the existing distributor, as refurbishing the unit is more inexpensive and simpler.

I've been looking up other options for the coil packs; I found a couple options, based on suggestions from the board:

https://www.amazon.com/Delphi-GN10469-I ... B00FRYL5EY

https://www.amazon.com/99-02-JETTA-GOLF ... B00FRYL5EY

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LS-LS1-LS2-ENG ... SwLoZfEaui

I do have a trigger wheel & hall sensor and I could mount both of those easily enough... its just a question of if I don't have to, is there a reason to?

It's actually a pretty rudimentary unit from what […]

Sorry, i just realized one thing: The 25 degrees […]

Hi y'all, I want to add a new 3-D table for Inj[…]

Yes as mentioned its 114 degrees, most older (rece[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?