Any questions you have before you begin buying, building and installing.
What do you mean by "use the distributor method for timing "
You can only use the trigger from the distributor to trigger speedy if you intent to run fuel ONLY, with spark being controlled by the original setup.
You cannot "boost" the trigger output.
You can use the rotor arm to distribute the spark to the plugs and keep a single coil controlled by speedy BUT you need a higher resolution trigger wheel to do this.
I'm a dummy, sorry - I've never done a project like this before so I'm confusing you and myself in the process. I realize what you mean now by the higher resolution/lower resolution - I forgot that in my LT1 project (my only EFI project, which i just used stock stuff), the Optispark actually has a high resolution trigger wheel disc inside the unit which drives the spark tables. The TR6 doesn't have this and the distributor only has 6 spark positions (hence what you meant by low resolution).

I had read in a previous post that the signal resolution from the distributor was poor, so speeduino would have issues. I took this to mean that the coil itself produced a low resolution (or noisy or weak) signal that speeduino would have a tough time interpreting... so I was thinking, hmm maybe a CDI box to boost that.

I'm not adverse to going the more complicated route of trigger wheels & coil packs, I'm just trying to figure out the easiest way for a first-timer to wrap my mind around what I need. Using my distributor to handle the spark would be the easiest way and if the curve of the engine is as flat as I understand it to be, perhaps just using the speeduino for fueling purposes (at first) would be best until I move onto adding a trigger wheel & coil packs.
You don't need coil packs or anything like that.

You can continue to use the dizzy and stock setup.

Just would need a trigger wheel supported by Speeduino and at least 12-1 teeth and it can then control stock setup.

So you could start with fuel control only then add a wheel later on and then connect existing coil to Speeduino and away you go.

Will of course need any mechanical advance in the dizzy to be locked.
Hi Tyler,

The TR6 thread that was linked above is mine. I haven't made much progress on my conversion but I am stillworking on it.

For the ignition, if you don't want to the stock coil and dizzy, I would recommend to use the VW coil that some one else has recommeneded. It's well documented.

If you are in north america, one thing I hightly recommend is that you go to a junk yard and get the engine wiring harness out of a 6 cyliner chevy silverado. IIRC the early 00's model year should work well. You can then split it up and use the stuff you need, discard the stuff you don't, it will save you a lot of hassle to find the correct connectors. Also get the coils from the same vehicle. I didn't do this and I regret is as it's taken me a long time to chase down the correct connectors etc.

On my car I'm going to use the coil pack from the silverado, and use the speeduino to control it. I am going to keep dizzy in place and use the drive from it for the stock tach.

Hope this helps.

Hi, I am trying to assign Signed values to the x-a[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

New version 202305 don't fix the issue. Now after[…]

blitzbox

I've finally figured out why MAP and Lambda weren'[…]

Hello, I bring news!! Let me tell you that after […]

Still can't find what you're looking for?