Any questions you have before you begin buying, building and installing.
By GMC270
Hi all,
when I connected the ignition module to the speeduino v0.4 the wire started smoking directly... seriously, a lot of smoke for such a small wire :shock: !

I noticed I have 12V on the ground pins :( ... I measured following things:
I put 12V battery on terminal J3 (+ on square pad, - on round pad)
I have +12V over ground (pin9) and negative terminal J3
I have +17V over outer pins voltage regulator U1 and negative termial J3
I have +12V over middle pin voltage regulator U1 and negative termial J3
The ignition signal (measured between pin 7 and battery -) has 12V when low, 17V when high).

I checked the board, but I could not find any polarity sensitive components that are placed the wrong way.

Does anyone have an idea what I am doing wrong??

here my board:
IMG_1083.JPG
IMG_1083.JPG (2.62 MiB) Viewed 5595 times
By NickZ
IMG_1083.JPG
IMG_1083.JPG (1.35 MiB) Viewed 5579 times
the square pad is negative closest to the edge of the board.
the diode should have protected it from damage hopefully.
By GMC270
Aren't the square pads always the positive ones?
I think it should be written down somewhere (like on the board) how to connect the 12V on the terminal.
I could nowhere find how to connect it...

but thanks, when I get home Ill try if the speeduino is still alive :)
By cx500tc
Square pads are usually only used to indicate pin "1" on a connector / component.
On the V.04 board, the square is ground, relatively easy to ID since it's connected to the solder layer around the part.
The round pad is (+); can tell because it connects to U2, diode D15 and caps C15/C16.
By edc_atl
cx500tc wrote:Square pads are usually only used to indicate pin "1" on a connector / component.
On the V.04 board, the square is ground, relatively easy to ID since it's connected to the solder layer around the part.
The round pad is (+); can tell because it connects to U2, diode D15 and caps C15/C16.
That is correct on the square pads but our boards do not have square pads on the power connections. When you attach a round pad to a ground plane, it adds four tie in corners to it. Makes it look square but it's really not the case, looks more like a small bulls eye.
By GMC270
It may be a good improvement of the board to mark + and - on the 12V terminal to prevent other newbies from making the same fault.
I short circuited the speeduino via the ignition module, both the speeduino and the ignition module survived but maybe other ignition modules would have been destroyed. Thereby there is a risk of fire.
You cannot know how to connect the 12V power supply without studying the electrical scheme.
I guess marking the board with a + and - should not be a big thing (but I can definately be wrong) and could prevent others from a lot of trouble. JMHO.
By noisymime
This is a complete oversight on my part. There should definitely have been markings on the board indicating polarity, just as there is on the v0.3 board.

Apologies around this, I will ensure that future revisions have this included.
By raven007
Also in the future when building boards its always a good idea, if possible, to build the power supply section first and test before continuing. A dead in package regulator (rare but its possible) or other component could cause damage thats difficult to isolate if the entire board is populated then tested. :)

nice first of all, i read all that crap months a[…]

I rewired a few grounds and tested the TPS and rel[…]

Thanks, car runs great now !!! Going to drift even[…]

sauver moteur v8

bonsoir je m appel jean marie et j habite en Franc[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?