New wiki and manual has launched! Check it out at http://wiki.speeduino.com
Any questions you have before you begin buying, building and installing.
Hey all, Just getting into arduino and speeduino at the same time, so pardon me if some of my questions don't make sense to those experienced- this is not my first engine build at all but it's certainly one of my first forays into electrical boards.

I've popped open about 50 tabs in my browser and I've searched far and wide- but I can't seem to find a single, simple list of what exactly are the board components I need to buy to complete a v4 speeduino board, from the bare board. I can see plenty of component "kits" listed but I'd rather buy the components individually myself.

Secondly, I'm planning to use the speeduino to replace the stock ecm from a 1991 chevy 2500 5.7l V8 running a distributor and TBI system. I'd like to keep the TBI as I swap over from the stock swirl port heads to sbc vortec heads and a roller lifter cam instead of the flat tappet. I'd rather not deal with the reflashing of the stock chip these days if I can avoid it, and honestly the ancient thing performs poorly when a tune is well done on it to begin with, let alone if it isn't, thus the reasoning behind using speeduino instead.

On a basic level, what are the primary things I need to concern myself with as far as tuning the ecm to work with this setup goes, and what systems do I need to be wiring into it?

Thanks in advance, and my apologies if my questions are too simple- I really have been trying to do my research the past week, but I'm kind of an old man and I'm having trouble wrapping my head around some of this.
I am doing a chev 92 TPI (ex Camaro) into a Holden Monaro, to resolve some clearance issues I am converting it to TBI. So I am a little ahead of you having been researching for a couple of months.

Here is a link to the BOM and Schematics for Speedy, the published links do not work for me either. The schematic is the only way I have found to cross reference Input Name vs terminal number vs CPU pin. Note the speedy does not power (source) anything 12v only 5v, relies on sink for 12v signals

https://hackaday.io/project/4413/files The link

You may find that engine already has a roller cam as well, the 92 TPI has roller cam and roller rockers standard.

The TBI uses low impedance (Low-Z) injectors, whereas Speedy needs High impedance injectors, basically needs 5ohm resistors in series.

I have broken my research up into sections as I was jumping all over the place. There are two .PDF files that you will need for reference, Speeduino_Manual.pdf and V0.4 - Speeduino.pdf.

You will also need to purchase a stepper motor interface module DRV8825 as best I can tell.

There are some details on how to interface the GM HEI distributor into Speedy, plus I think there is an additional circuit for the requiring a FET to improve reliability. Need to research on the Wiki or Forum under GM HEI

Sorry writing this in a hurry as the wife needs me.

Any more questions ask away. I had a question here the other day on driving TCC.

Cheers
Col
Col O/S wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:19 am
I am doing a chev 92 TPI (ex Camaro) into a Holden Monaro, to resolve some clearance issues I am converting it to TBI. So I am a little ahead of you having been researching for a couple of months.

Here is a link to the BOM and Schematics for Speedy, the published links do not work for me either. The schematic is the only way I have found to cross reference Input Name vs terminal number vs CPU pin. Note the speedy does not power (source) anything 12v only 5v, relies on sink for 12v signals

https://hackaday.io/project/4413/files The link

You may find that engine already has a roller cam as well, the 92 TPI has roller cam and roller rockers standard.

The TBI uses low impedance (Low-Z) injectors, whereas Speedy needs High impedance injectors, basically needs 5ohm resistors in series.

I have broken my research up into sections as I was jumping all over the place. There are two .PDF files that you will need for reference, Speeduino_Manual.pdf and V0.4 - Speeduino.pdf.

You will also need to purchase a stepper motor interface module DRV8825 as best I can tell.

There are some details on how to interface the GM HEI distributor into Speedy, plus I think there is an additional circuit for the requiring a FET to improve reliability. Need to research on the Wiki or Forum under GM HEI

Sorry writing this in a hurry as the wife needs me.

Any more questions ask away. I had a question here the other day on driving TCC.

Cheers
Col
Thank you very much, I did not understand that the board files are the components list and this is what made it click for me. I was trying to avoid downloading too much until I had fully understood things, but I see now what I was missing.
You really want to be downloading the file package bundle from GitHub or the link in the wiki for most recent release rather then the hackaday files as it may lead to confusion.

The above are the two recommended way to get all the info you need( later you could use speedyloader to update firmware and ini but that won't get you the info you need to start off with)
Correct that is what should happen, but when the links do not work plan B comes into play. It is extremely frustrating when you see people looking for assistance and the same reply is parroted of use the Wiki/Forum, and when you eventually find the links they do not work.

Maybe improvements would be a downloads section so you can find things without jumping all over and an option to report a broken link. Also a link that will work in one location (country) will not necessarily work in another location. I travel a fair bit so are reasonably well versed in certain countries blocking others, then the VPN comes into play, which may also cause a block, so I have to swap around a bit till I find a working port.

Generally it is just as easy to procure the components through the approved stores so that solves that problem. But sourcing the basic information to get started is a hassle. Hence having seen someone going through the same struggles I will offer assistance to help lower the level of frustration.

Cheers
It is Github restricting access based on your IP address. I tried a few different locations via VPN yesterday and actually found if I use Australia it works properly, the other two I tried did not. The was a message briefly flashed on the screen once about restricting/blocking IP address or something like that from Github.

Cheers
VW 2.0 ABF 16V

So it was time to get the engine back in where it […]

Use MAP acceleration enrichment instead of TPS […]

I realise this post is a year old but....did you […]

Folks, Apologies if this seems obvious questions […]

Still can't find what you're looking for?