Any questions you have before you begin buying, building and installing.
By LPG2CV
Speeduino is designed to be used with Tunerstudio. You can download the free version. If you buy the licenced version, it can help you tune the VE table as you drive. If you don't have a Speeduino board yet, (if your pairing up, then NO2C may suit), you can just buy a mega2560 to load a tune on. You can download Ardustim to mimic a trigger wheel, however, you will need an Uno to load it on. Plus some leads. But your familiar with arduino, so may have some stuff already. So you could start learning on the bench.

Its a good idea to read the Wiki, and read it again, until you learn what will be relevant to your set up. :D
By HayBurner408G
An update - Its been a while!

Uni work amongst other things have taken their toll and I have been exceptionally busy. I have finished the longblock now and have an idea of the top end. Hopefully by end of feb everything will be on bar fuel system. I am currently in the process of using a speeduino powered device to power a CBR600RR (wish me luck!) and am seeing the learning curve with that before I fully commit. In which case I think I am going to run carbs first, then fuel only, then fuel and ign. I have found some 40IDF style bodies with injector bosses, which I intend to use rather than the previously mentioned parallel twin bodies.

I will try to update more often with more ramblings and progress, and will drop in a couple bits about the RR from time to time. in the meantime here is the longblock in the shed!
Attachments
IMG_4799.CR2.jpg
IMG_4799.CR2.jpg (579.48 KiB) Viewed 5832 times
By LAV1000
If you first run whit carb's, then I suggest to start whit ignition.
Why ?
Because If your bike runs wel on carb's and OEM ignition, you know how it should drive and react.
Get/make your new ignition table so it reacts as the OEM setup.

And ignition is the hard part to get it working due to VR/HALL sensors and noise.
Don't be afraid this forum is here to help. :D
By HayBurner408G
Another Update! Ill try keep things updated a bit more often now theres less stuff to do...

I have broken in the engine and am currently in the process of getting it running on a stripped back NO2C.

Essentially, it will run spark only and run in basic distributor mode until I have machined a crank pulley to mount the trigger wheel. The old engine i pulled from the beetle did have a trigger on the flywheel, which im looking at transplanting on to new engine. This is also where the NO2C comes in -> I had a glance over the kicad and just cherry picked the bits I need or want. as of today its all built up and should be ready for testing on the engine in a couple weeks.

Whilst I break the engine in I plan to keep everything as close to stock in order to not complicate diagnosis if any faults arise. That being said, in the short term the NO2C will act as a rev limiter until I take the advance mech out the dizzy or lock it out., prior to going full crank trigger.

I am also currently looking into adding launch without tps for mild hooliganism. Momentary button instead of clutch switch that you can depress and then something to fool the tps like a basic pot. will be using map to load sense as the carbs already have a vac take off and will look a bit neater. Dont think ill be doing any sort of launches with it, as itll probably end up with a wrecked clutch and gearbox, although would fun for the occasional blat.

As someone that has hated carbs in terms of balance issues and jetting, I have never had carbs set up so well and provide such good throttle response, so I plan to keep them on for the forseeable short term. They are OG italian 40IDFs with custom made stacks, and the noise they make is incredible! The engine on the stand also felt like it was going to break my arm with the amount of torque, so should be good fun in a bug.

Ive been posting a lot more frequently on a separate instagram page documenting any engineering related stuff with speeduino included, please check it out if you are interested in what ive been up to!

www.instagram.com/jones_werks

thanks for all your comments and pointers, as its really helped direct where ive gone with this as a project.

P.S ive successfully got the RR up and running on full sequential! should be really good to see once its got a rolling road tune. :D
By HayBurner408G
Haha! its a really sweet whistle 8-)

Im starting to fall down the rabbit hole with tinkering. Ive got a couple breakouts for arduino to add to speedy (bluetooth and chinese knock off K couple amp) and am looking at optoelectrics. Has anyone used them for trigger? I dont inted to yet, but was considering printing a high infill trigger wheel that I can plop in the dizzy (say 12 -1, much better than the 4 magnets for hall) - Thanks to david/PSIG for the tip with the adafruit one mentioned previously.

Theres probably a good reason that people dont 3d print trigger wheels, but one out of ABS at say 50% infill and right up againsts a optoelectric sensor could work? it COULD give a much cleaner and smoother signal, and from what ive read about photoelectrics you can get nice edge detection. This is also a lot cheaper than cramming a laser cut or cnc wheel into a stock dizzy.
This is something I could theoretically knock out very quickly compared to the 36-1 wheel.
Thoughts on the above or am I a raving madman? :lol:
By panpan
@HayBurner408G
Pass on 3D printing trigger wheels, and don't knock milled or CNC trigger wheels in a dizzy, but 3D print a sensor case instead. :P and then pull that cam off and mod a new gear tooth on to that. Mine is 17mm across and 18-1 teeth, but it's only a twin, and that pic is from 2017. :)
IMG_6001.jpeg
IMG_6001.jpeg (315.5 KiB) Viewed 4836 times
MIke
BTW That's PETG and it was going soft with teh engine heat, had to change it later.
By HayBurner408G
Nice thanks for the tip! looks good!

Ill have a look into that opto sensor too - I think thats the one ive seen commonly listed on eBay. At the moment im just exploring every possible trigger method!

Ive been getting into 3D printing so currently think its the solution to all the worlds problems :lol:
By HayBurner408G
Hey everyone,

Just a brief update - been a while since ive hopped on the forums!

I ended up making a 36-1 trigger setup, using a Cherry GS012 series hall sensor. Ive bench tested and run on car and it works great - my only concern is reliability of hardware in a road-going application. The plan for now is to run the speedy in parallel to the dizzy (therefore ECU not controlling engine/not driving any coils) and use as a feature-rich datalogger for x amount of miles, just to get an idea of how robust the system is.

Im in the process of mounting a TPS to the back of one of the IDFs, and have got lambda working too. Im hoping to plot TPS/Lambda/RPM alongside CHT/Oil temp, which I think are the bare minimum to get an idea of the current performance envelope of the engine....

Pictures and more updates to follow shortly!

It looks like you have a fuel supply issue. readin[…]

Will this have an updated version about this featu[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

I did the fix, but it's not work. I put my setti[…]

Perhaps some different points and pictures. Instr[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?