Any questions you have before you begin buying, building and installing.
Hello everybody! First off i am VERY happy to see that this exists. I have worked with Arduinos in the past and i have programmed and ran a Microsquirt module in the past (I actually was going to use that for this project of mine but i thought i was smart enough to test everything without a fuse :evil: :evil: )

So i have a lm7 5.3l v8. This is a very common truck engine that has a 28x reluctor wheel (correct me if I'm wrong, came from a 2000 Tahoe.) I do not mind running in wasted spark or batch injection at all, and the newest version of firmware looks like it has everything that i would need to get it fully up and running. I want to be using this as a daily driver/ track drift car (no emissions required in my state) with a turbocharger added down the road. So my big question is, anything i am missing? i see support for the IAC stepper motor and the reluctor wheel and the logic level COP.

Also as i was using a Microsquirt previously i was going to go with a digital display right above the steering wheel, would anything like that be possible using an Arduino as a ECU? My idea was to use a Raspberry Pi connected with the Microsquirt running Tunerstudio to display all the needed information but now i do not know how much of an option that would be. Is there any future plan of a digital output that i could convert over to a display somehow? If so that would be very helpful. I'm very glad to have found this site and very excited to start working with everybody on an open source project with such potential as this one.
Welcome to the Forums, Nicklebrick. It should be a 24x setup, and Speeduino can also read the cam input, but I think the 58x version is also possible right now as a 60-2 wheel. You can verify which you have by the color of the sensor (gray or black). As for the dash, you are correct, and like Nick I am running Bluetooth to TunerStudio and MSDroid dash on Android. We have a similar project here, using an LQ4 6.0 (24x) with twin turbos. The engine and freshened trans are in the car for the last time after multiple fittings around the new MII suspension and steering, and the second exhaust manifold is being fabbed. The brake lines and charging system have to be finished and it will be close to a startup and test drive. :D Who needs mufflers, right? ;) If yours is closer to running, maybe you can get it fired-up first!

David
This is very good news, thank you NickZ and PSIG. Now that i know for sure i can use it with a display i will be buying the parts shortly. And good to hear there is somebody else trying this on a v8, i searched quite a bit but didn't really find any sort of sure answer that i was looking for.

As for how soon i will be starting it i sure do wish i could say that i would be closer to starting my engine than yours, i has been sitting for a very long time and I'm still trying to build it all on a budget while still using high quality parts. So i keep waiting a very long time between getting quality parts and everything just keeps getting pushed back further. I'm machining new motor mounts hopefully next week so maybe the engine running will come sooner than i expected it to you never know. Still a long ways away from any sort of driving, but cranking over is a possibility. Best of luck with your project, what car is it going into?
It's going into a 1966 Chevy-II Nova. The photo below is a few weeks old, where the engine just got it's new mounts welded onto the new front suspension cross-member. It's a race between the Chevy-II and my little Ford Ranger, which now has a 5.0L GT40 engine and a fresh modified electronic trans, and the final turbo exhaust (single Garrett/Schweitzer) is next on the list. Both are street cars, and the Ranger is a daily-driver. I don't know which will run first, but I have enough Speeduinos and MegaSquirts to go around a couple times.

David

It's nice to easily take the whole front-end off to work:

The 5.0L into the little Ford Ranger doesn't look too tight from here:

But, it's not so easy from another angle!:
ive got two v8 conversions on the go currently, one im waiting to come back from the machine shop and the other just needing time to fit it.
i had a little video of it running, it was a bit rough running, but with a bit of time it will be good.
DSC_0034_zpsfba1bdb0.jpg
DSC_0034_zpsfba1bdb0.jpg (236.46 KiB) Viewed 6150 times
burnout_zps50e68e38.jpg
burnout_zps50e68e38.jpg (471.83 KiB) Viewed 6150 times
Is is whats getting one V8, it will be turbo V8 currently it a V6
Thanks for your replies. It's good to know I'm not alone in thinking an Arduino would be Usable for something like this. Just got a full time job and will quickly be able to afford progress on my Z again, the Speeduino will be next on the list after a new mid plate and bell housing for the trans so I can have everything safely housed inside the car before firing.

I'm liking where that Nova-II is going, my first car was a 79' Nova with a crate 350, what a fun car at 16.

As far as your V8 RWD swap goes i'm very impressed, Drivetrain conversion is nothing i want to mess with anytime soon. I'll stick with electronics and engines. Fabrication was my fathers work and I never really put the time into doing things the right way the first time sadly.

Hi, I am trying to assign Signed values to the x-a[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

New version 202305 don't fix the issue. Now after[…]

blitzbox

I've finally figured out why MAP and Lambda weren'[…]

Hello, I bring news!! Let me tell you that after […]

Still can't find what you're looking for?