New wiki and manual has launched! Check it out at http://wiki.speeduino.com
Any questions you have before you begin buying, building and installing.
You could try Hardware Test mode in TunerStudio with power and without fuel pressure or coils connected. Your multi-meter should show roughly 50% of expected values (5V if JP1 is in 5V position) in the 50% duty cycle testing. If that is not sufficient or conclusive, we can ask Darren for the means to enable the testing at or near 100%.

While IIRC there is very little current required for LS coil drivers, you could test for current as well, by using a resistor from harness SIG to GND through your meter. With that test setup, you should see (example 100 ohm resistor) 50mA when on and 0mA when off, averaging 25mA current. A 10-ohm resistor would average 250mA. These are approximate numbers based on how fast your meter updates and the speed of the 50% cycling in the test; but the point is to get indicators that it is functioning as-intended in both voltage and current, regardless of actual values.

David
PSIG wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:39 pm
You could try Hardware Test mode in TunerStudio with power and without fuel pressure or coils connected. Your multi-meter should show roughly 50% of expected values (5V if JP1 is in 5V position) in the 50% duty cycle testing. If that is not sufficient or conclusive, we can ask Darren for the means to enable the testing at or near 100%.

thanks, I up to now I didn't realize that there was a hardware test, in tunerstudio. they must have put it in there for people like me, I look at it today and see what I can come up with. thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
as for that resistance test on a ground with the difference between having the key on and off. I reached out to some others also, and have been informed that I was chasing my tail more or less. just over thinking , here is a answer that to me explains the error of my ways.
"Sorry for my bad technical English. Measuring resistance is always whitout power on the system. Because your multimeter sends out a low current. When there is a power supply hooked up there wil be much more current then the multimeter gives so the measurement is not accurate. Measure like Troy said voltage. Measure the voltage difference between the ground side of the battery and the component. Make sure that the system is turned on, else your a measurement without a ballast. I hope you can understand my English"
Agreed, if you are measuring resistance with power on, then you would use voltage drop to calculate resistance. Sorry I didn't look at your meter in the photo was set to Ohms and still testing for that.

David
UPDATE: I checked with @dazq (Darren) about the Hardware Test routine he wrote. Bottom-line is that the entire routine is not yet enabled. So, when you use it you will get 100% duty cycle (constant ON), which is fine for your signal testing. The "50% DC" button is not yet functional. @noisymime and @dazq are working on pulling the remaining adjustments Darren wrote into the code for selecting duty cycle and frequency. 8-)

David
thanks for all your help. I have a couple of question on the Hardware test page. Just so I am doing it correctly..
as stated just a few times, fuel pump off, and coils unplugged...
and on the setting page, set the enablehardware_test & CAN_COMMANDS both to activated.

the spark driver output test.. when I press the ON tab, does it stay on & send voltage continually? this will send the signal voltage to the # "C" on the coil loom. I attached one end of the voltmeter to # "C", and the other end of the voltmeter to ground. IF I set this on DC volts, it will measure the current drop.. with this being new to me, just trying to figure out how to set this up.

then on the injector driver output test, from my understanding there is 12 volts present through the circuit, and when they are fired, the board opens up the selected injector ground pins 1 & 2, which will fire the injector. so how would a person measure this test?
with this 4 cylinder motor, I am doing a wasted spark using pins 7 & 34, and the injectors I am batch firing, using pins 1 & 2 only.

I have been looking at the WIKI pages, an think that I have followed them, just unsure how to hook up & measure the tests..
https://speeduino.com/wiki/index.php/Co ... unerStudio
https://speeduino.com/wiki/index.php/Ha ... sting_page
Attachments
83 setting page .jpg
83 setting page .jpg (214.49 KiB) Viewed 1275 times
82 setting page .jpg
82 setting page .jpg (245.25 KiB) Viewed 1275 times
All outputs switch to ground, so when they are on they are to ground.

Also you don't need to change the can commands setting to use the hardware test page
Randomly: CAN is separate to Hardware Test.
How to set-up the testing depends on what you want to know, e.g., if the INJ LEDs are blinking, the ECM works, and if injectors are clicking, they and the wiring work. ;) If you want to know more, then specify the data desired or goals of the testing defined, so test routines can be conceived.
I would suggest testing multiple components separately, then together, e.g., coil(s), harness, ECM, etc. In this way, you can confirm each, and focus remedies on those failures - if any. Testing together isolates the connector terminal connection performance and wiring configuration once components test good (only things not tested at that point).
If all components test good, then only remaining is control (settings and values).

David
so I set up to the hardware test. but don't see any lights when I click on the buttons. maybe I am doing something wrong...
but when cranking the lights are flashing. and with an LED diode I am getting trigger signal (faint) flash with a 12 volt 20ma LED.
I attached a powerprobe tester to the injector banks and it looks like the injectors are firing, even with a low batter voltage at 10.6 volts.
the only thing that is kind of low is the kick back voltage, I am reading that normal kick back voltage should be around " 55 and 90 volts, with 65 volts being the norm. A low voltage inductive kick is a sure indication of an electrical problem. As said before shorted injector coil windings or any resistance in the injector circuit will show up in the voltage waveform as a low voltage inductive kick."
I am reading 42.01 in my tests. kind of on the low side. but then I am looking at 2 jumper points and around 4 solder
joints, in each circuit.
Is this low kick back voltage, something that I need to look into?

I can smell fuel. and the cylinder walls are wet. now at least know I know the injector firing specs.
I am using IWP043 330 cc injectors http://www.thunder-max.com/techdocs/Fue ... rSpecs.pdf (second page)
in the technical data the flow performance of the injectors at 4 bar is 377 cc/min at 58.01 psi. with the fuel pump and system that I am using its internal regulator is set at 58 psi.
the more I am looking at it, the speeduino board is doing its job,

maybe I shorted out all the coils when I wired them in reverse, OR I was shipped ones DOA....(cheap Ebay ones)
thanks for taking the time to help me understand what is going on.. I was hoping that when I turned the key all would be well, but this is making me think and I am starting to understand a lot more on what is happening.
Attachments
85 injector bank pin  1.jpg
85 injector bank pin 1.jpg (151.99 KiB) Viewed 1255 times
86 injector bank pin 2.jpg
86 injector bank pin 2.jpg (142.02 KiB) Viewed 1255 times
87 injector diagram.JPG
87 injector diagram.JPG (218.81 KiB) Viewed 1255 times
88 speeduion engine constants.JPG
88 speeduion engine constants.JPG (84.45 KiB) Viewed 1255 times
(166.71 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
theonewithin wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:33 am
Fuel injectors can't be wired backwards...

They are just a coil and it doesn't matter which polarity you hook them up
you are correct about wiring the injectors,

so according to my PowerProbe, I have signal going to the injectors to open them up.
and I set everything up according to the injector spec sheet.
so tonight I loosened up the intake manifolds, to see if I was actually getting fuel..
well. I can't see any coming out of the injectors, put a piece of cardboard under and there was no sign of a mist or anything wet...

could it be that I purchased some bad injectors, like the coils?

I took time to verify all that lines were clean before installation. at least I thought so. it is hard to believe that I have signal saying the injectors are opening up. and I am not seeing any spray out of any of them...
one question. when I unplug all the injectors, with the key on. I am reading 11.68 volts on the speeduino ground leg of the plug. Is this normal?
where they are firing in pairs. if the other one is plugged in. I am reading the battery voltage on both legs.
any ideas on where to look first?

on a better note. the new coils came in today. and there is spark and the motor fires over with a little gas sprayed into the throttle body. (just had to see if it would actually fire over.)
Ford Sierra 2.8 V6

What board have you got? Or getting? You can incre[…]

VW 2.0 ABF 16V

So it was time to get the engine back in where it […]

Use MAP acceleration enrichment instead of TPS […]

I realise this post is a year old but....did you […]

Still can't find what you're looking for?