For discussion of Speeduino compatible boards designed / built by other members of the forum and for guidance around making such a board
By joey120373
I’ve noticed that some of the user designed boards are using DC/DC buck converters for the 5v rail.

My current design is using a standard liner, it has plenty of copper fill around it to help dissipate the heat so long as I don’t load it too much, however I am thinking about building an even smaller unit for my motorcycle and 4 wheeler, and I don’t think a liner reg would be the best fit, as I plan on potting the whole thing to make it completely waterproof.

Just wondering if those guys using the buck converters are seeing any I’ll effects from the noise they tend to generate? would an off the shelf unit work or should I look at designing my own built for low noise?
Also wondering if anyone has had any luck using a buck converter to feed a liner?
By PSIG
joey120373 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 2:59 pm I’ve noticed that some of the user designed boards are using DC/DC buck converters for the 5v rail.
… Also wondering if anyone has had any luck using a buck converter to feed a liner?
Yes. Do a search on bucks here. I have run a buck into a linear above dropout, e.g., 5V + (1V dropout x 1.5) = 6.5V buck output. Works great and runs cool for me. Others have run bucks only or directly and report no issues. Use a good buck and test it first. I'll be testing a buck-only fairly soon on a new 24V to 3.3V design, so I will update this and similar threads with that data, and look forward to yours also.
By joey120373
Thanks, think I’ll give that a try, I can modify my current board easy enough. I have this type of converter on hand, no idea what kind of noise it might put out but might as well give it a try and test it
Attachments
0C236A7E-E9F7-498D-A369-D5C2BA129357.jpeg
0C236A7E-E9F7-498D-A369-D5C2BA129357.jpeg (142.33 KiB) Viewed 3570 times
By JHolland
Noise on the output is not as bad as the noise they put on the input which can affect other electronics and also couple back into the ECU on the signal lines. Most of those modules are 'simple switcher' designs and if you look on TI's website then there is an application note on how to design the filters for them. Ultimately its a trade off between board space and efficiency.

Hi, I am trying to assign Signed values to the x-a[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

New version 202305 don't fix the issue. Now after[…]

blitzbox

I've finally figured out why MAP and Lambda weren'[…]

Hello, I bring news!! Let me tell you that after […]

Still can't find what you're looking for?