For discussion of Speeduino compatible boards designed / built by other members of the forum and for guidance around making such a board
Hello everyone,

i'am new in this forum an the world of speeduino. At first some infos about me and sorry for my bad english :roll:
During my study of mechanical engineering and the time i was writing my bachelor thesis of a Motorcycle that runs on E100, where i was using the MS2, a college told me about Speeduino. I startet to deal with it and thought.... damn, how cool is this.... :D

After a while, and checking all version, i decided do design my own version of the Speeduino. My focus was on old motorcycles like my Moto Guzzi Imola(350ccm/V2). Specifically to old motorcycles is that they use directly controlled ignition coils. As we all know, are the "normal" Speeduinos designed for logic coils. So i started to design a new board wich is based on The No2C with some other componets, like Ignition IGBT's and the small Arduino Mega -> Mega 2560 Pro.
This is the result.... :D

3D Model out of KiCad, board size is 70mm wide an 78mm long

size comparison with a very well-known lighter

retrofittable functions and boards

The properties are very similar to the No2C:
Inputs:
TPS (checked, works fine)
CLT (checked, works fine)
IAT (checked, works fine)
02 (checked, works fine)
MAP
Hall1 & Hall2 (checked, works fine)
VR1 & VR2 via the dual conditioner Board
for Bluetooth module prepared

Outputs:
Fuel Pump (checked, works fine)
IDLE (on / off valve) (checked, works fine)
IDLE (stepper valve, with stepper driver)
INJ 1 (IRLZ44N) (checked, works fine)
INJ 2 (IRLZ44N) (checked, works fine)
IGN 1 (IGBT -IRGB14C40L) for direkt coils means "+12V" to the coil and "-" to ECU (checked, works fine)
IGN 2 (IGBT -IRGB14C40L) for direkt coils means "+12V" to the coil and "-" to ECU (checked, works fine)
Tacho-Out
the ground of the outputs an inputs are seperate on the board....

For the moment i checked out the funktion with ardustim, a lathe mashine and some sensors. This little thing seems to work really nice. But i actual noticed that i had to add also the outputs for VVT an Boost. :roll:

So what do the pros and experienced users say to my creation :?:

For the future i plan to do a new version of these small board with all of the outputs an maybe a bit more stuff
an a small version with four channels :D

I would like to conclude with a small question:
As I read it here, a lot of work is actual put into the teensy's. Do you know if the teensy 3.5 firmware is running on Teensy 3.2?
The 3.2 ist much more powerfull as the mega but i like the size better than of 3.5/3.6 ;)

Thanks a lot for this great ecu project :D
Welcome, Garageink. :) Nice work! A note that Speeduino is not designed for logic coils as you said, but rather than it has 5V or 12V logic output, for either logic coils or passive coils using external coil drivers. Virtually any kind of coils, and even CDI. The benefit of this is to prevent powerful ignition flyback voltages from entering the wiring harness and ECM case that could interfere with other functions and signals. If you have tested your unit for noise rejection, then you can certainly place the coil drivers on your board. 8-)

If it helps, we have found the DRV8825 does not heat excessively with typical IAC valves, so the heat sink is generally not required. That may save you some space, though the heat sink can actually go under the board and under the chip (between the legs) if used. The other "Mega Pro Mini" ECM versions designed by other members here have one primary issue, which is the variety of "Pro Mini" versions with different pinouts. You will need a method for users to positively identify and obtain the version or versions that work with your board. ;) Keep going!

David
Nice work Garageink! I did not realize that the TE/Denso connectors of that style came in a single pocket version, that's real nice since it comes with both high and low current connections and it's fairly narrow pitch. Looks like it uses the Robotdyn with USB-serial chip Mini-MEGA. I like these https://www.tindie.com/products/FuzzySt ... ompatible/ since they don't waste space with power regulators that aren't used anyways. He also has a version that lacks the serial converter. You may also want to consider having your solder blob jumpers on the bottom where they are easier to access. A clever little design you have made though, I really do like it.
Wow, I have not met with such quick answers :lol: Very nice :!:
Thanks for the compliments ;)

@psig:
A note that Speeduino is not designed for logic coils as you said, but rather than it has 5V or 12V logic output...
my formulation with the coil was not correct enough. I ment what you wrote . Sorry. :?
My idea with the Coil drivers was to get a ecu like original TCI/ECU of motorcycles are. So to control passiv coils directly without external drivers :lol: so a little bit like plug and play :lol:
If you have tested your unit for noise rejection, then you can certainly place the .....
I've did no "special/professional testing" for noise rejection. On The PCB there are two seperatet GND areas with seperatet wires to the connector an Body work of the bike. both on bottom an top layer. I hoped to generate a kind of faraday cage with this solution. The pcb is mounted in an aluminum enclosure housing, wich is also groundet. To check the noise rejection, i connecter all sensors and real passive coils with sparkplugs. After hours of simulation with ardustim ( constant an sweeping rpms from 800 to 10.000 rpm) i could not detect any dropouts or measurement errors.....
So noise rejection seems to be ok... but i have to wait as its on the street :(

@ turboedge
I did not realize that the TE/Denso connectors of that style came in a single pocket version....
Yes, Like panpan wrote, this ist a TE Multilock 040/070 26pin. The part numbers are:
Housing: 178811-6
Plug: 174516-7
Connectors : 175197-2 (Multilock 040) ; 282375-1( multilock 070)
There may be differences in the number of parts, because of the colors or number of pieces....
I've bought it from RS-Components.
Looks like it uses the Robotdyn with USB-serial chip Mini-MEGA
Thats rigth, but i'm using a clone ofe the original robotdyn from far far east :lol:
But yes, its The Mega 2560 Pro (not Mega 2560 Pro mini !!!) with the ch340, you can get from robotdyn
https://robotdyn.com/mega-2560-pro-embe ... -16au.html
I like these https://www.tindie.com/products/FuzzySt ... ompatible/ since they don't waste spac....
Wow, thats small. With this mega version, there would be more spacing for the actual missing Outputs. I thing this board is a good alternative for the standalone speeduinos,because soldering the AtMega is abit difficult. :lol: Thank you fpr this ;) information

and yes, the idea with the solder blob on the bottom is very good!
that it is not so clever on the top, I noticed when assembling. Shame on my head :lol: :(

@ dazq
Noisymime has said that there is insufficient eeprom.....
thanks for the info, but that sounds a bit weird to me. The Teensy 3.2 i know has 2kb eeprom, the Mega just 1kb.
I will ask noisymime and post here if I find out something ;)

After your comments and the information you have given me, I already have ideas for the next version :lol:
Thanks a lot
Mega2560 have 4k eeprom
htps://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Memory

Quote from noisymime
Teensy 3.2 DOES NOT have enough EEPROM to store the whole tune. Please, please, please DO NOT TRY TO RUN AN ENGINE ON A TEENSY 3.2!!

The Teensy will take the tune from TunerStudio and run it out of memory just fine, but the moment you turn it off, it will lose about 1/3 of the tune. I can't even begin to predict what behaviour this will cause, but it won't be good.

Teensy 3.5 or 3.6 are the only even barely supported Teensy devices.
Garageink wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:22 pm Hello everyone,

i'am new in this forum an the world of speeduino. At first some infos about me and sorry for my bad english :roll:
During my study of mechanical engineering and the time i was writing my bachelor thesis of a Motorcycle that runs on E100, where i was using the MS2, a college told me about Speeduino. I startet to deal with it and thought.... damn, how cool is this.... :D

After a while, and checking all version, i decided do design my own version of the Speeduino. My focus was on old motorcycles like my Moto Guzzi Imola(350ccm/V2). Specifically to old motorcycles is that they use directly controlled ignition coils. As we all know, are the "normal" Speeduinos designed for logic coils. So i started to design a new board wich is based on The No2C with some other componets, like Ignition IGBT's and the small Arduino Mega -> Mega 2560 Pro.
This is the result.... :D

3D Model out of KiCad, board size is 70mm wide an 78mm long

size comparison with a very well-known lighter

retrofittable functions and boards

The properties are very similar to the No2C:
Inputs:
TPS (checked, works fine)
CLT (checked, works fine)
IAT (checked, works fine)
02 (checked, works fine)
MAP
Hall1 & Hall2 (checked, works fine)
VR1 & VR2 via the dual conditioner Board
for Bluetooth module prepared

Outputs:
Fuel Pump (checked, works fine)
IDLE (on / off valve) (checked, works fine)
IDLE (stepper valve, with stepper driver)
INJ 1 (IRLZ44N) (checked, works fine)
INJ 2 (IRLZ44N) (checked, works fine)
IGN 1 (IGBT -IRGB14C40L) for direkt coils means "+12V" to the coil and "-" to ECU (checked, works fine)
IGN 2 (IGBT -IRGB14C40L) for direkt coils means "+12V" to the coil and "-" to ECU (checked, works fine)
Tacho-Out
the ground of the outputs an inputs are seperate on the board....

For the moment i checked out the funktion with ardustim, a lathe mashine and some sensors. This little thing seems to work really nice. But i actual noticed that i had to add also the outputs for VVT an Boost. :roll:

So what do the pros and experienced users say to my creation :?:

For the future i plan to do a new version of these small board with all of the outputs an maybe a bit more stuff
an a small version with four channels :D

I would like to conclude with a small question:
As I read it here, a lot of work is actual put into the teensy's. Do you know if the teensy 3.5 firmware is running on Teensy 3.2?
The 3.2 ist much more powerfull as the mega but i like the size better than of 3.5/3.6 ;)

Thanks a lot for this great ecu project :D

Hello dear friend, Could you share the Project and the scheme! thanks in advance!

megatun@list.ru

I uploaded logs and last tune and dyno plots look[…]

you could set 'skip revolutions' to 3, then it wou[…]

Hi, I am trying to assign Signed values to the x-a[…]

blitzbox

I've finally figured out why MAP and Lambda weren'[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?