For any add-on boards such as VR conditioners, optos and OEM interface boards
By dazq
my take on the simulator board
the code is std ardustim
dazq_simulator_pcb.png
dazq_simulator_pcb.png (175.76 KiB) Viewed 7557 times
the fritzing files are attached(zipped as it wont allow fzz)

i havent made/tried the pcb but the circuit is what i am using
Attachments
(35.16 KiB) Downloaded 415 times
By Old Grey
I was going to look into sims next, so thanks for that.

Uno, 10K pots and 330r resistors, that's doable.
By dazq
Please take whats done and make it single sided if you like :-), the pro minis are like $2.50!! Much cheaper than an uno. Something i missed that i added on my last build was was a 10k and 4k7 in series on the +ve to the rpm pot, this knocks the max rpm back to just under 8k
By PSIG
Very good. My first thoughts are to use bi-directional or double LEDs to verify outputs that drive low or high, and maybe an offset for the cam/crank signals to perhaps allow bi-LEDs to verify sim output activity there too? The Pro Mini works, but I will probably replace it with a Nano r3 (big spender :lol:) with built-in USB so I can easily change the Ardu-Stim parameters while testing without an adapter. Or, were you planning a different trigger input scheme? Eventually, it would be cool to have the outputs also route into the 328P to relay output info, such as actual pulsewidth, and have it report to serial. Something like that. Version 47 could have all electronic pot signals with automated testing routines. ;) Thanks for the work! This is going to be really useful!

David
By cx500tc
Some modifications I can think of:
- route the grounds differently so that any noise created by the ignition / injection stuff doesn't find its way to the potentiometers.
- small capacitors on the trigger output and stuff to help filter out noise.

Also, expanding on PSIG's post, having the controller able to display the pots', trigger rate / RPM and other settings and such would be a positive thing... even if it's an I2C connected display on the board. Might need a different controller though.

*edit- I think I might wrangle something up in Eagle.
By Old Grey
looks like it needs to be muli Arduino capable because nearly everyone has a UNO.

If you want to knock up a Eagle mod version post it up and I will convert it to Fritz.

A pre-programed routine sounds cool, but soon we will be adding a LCD display.
By dazq
Tbh i had a nano on this when it was on breadboard but when i made this up on perf it became a pro mini as i soldered it in.to adjust i use the serialUI application example ardustim comes with.a after config only need the pot adjustment.
The serialUI would make a good basis for creating the control app if you wanted more snazzy things?
See my last perf build below , mounts directly on the vr header, gets its pwr etc from that.the 2x5 header is just to bring up the spi from underneath(my v04 is cutn rewired to give spi access for testing).easy for quick testing off car almost standalone
Attachments
2016-07-05 21.33.00.jpg
2016-07-05 21.33.00.jpg (2.11 MiB) Viewed 7523 times
By cx500tc
dazq wrote:Tbh i had a nano on this when it was on breadboard but when i made this up on perf it became a pro mini as i soldered it in.to adjust i use the serialUI application example ardustim comes with.a after config only need the pot adjustment.
The serialUI would make a good basis for creating the control app if you wanted more snazzy things?
See my last perf build below , mounts directly on the vr header, gets its pwr etc from that.the 2x5 header is just to bring up the spi from underneath(my v04 is cutn rewired to give spi access for testing).easy for quick testing off car almost standalone
Cool idea. ;)

I was just perusing the 'bay' and they have 128x64 OLED going for around USD $3-4. But I was thinking one of the 20x4 displays on top of the simulator board with the pots lined up below it... and right-angle headers off one side for the connections.

Would probably have to buffer the pots so that if this samples a pot while Speedy is sampling too the readings aren't skewed.

Also, maybe modify Ardustim so the user can press a button or two to cycle through the various trigger patterns and display the current pattern on the display. Can't really see a need for requiring a computer connection or some fancy GUI on a display though: this should be as "stand-alone" as possible and practical.

Considering things, maybe a jump up to a Mega-compatible unit might be in order?
By cx500tc
And since I'm going "out there"... maybe a CAN interface could be implemented to capture sensor readings from a compatible vehicle for playback?
But that will require DAC's instead of knobs.

:D
By dazq
cx500tc wrote:
dazq wrote:Tbh i had a nano on this when it was on breadboard but when i made this up on perf it became a pro mini as i soldered it in.to adjust i use the serialUI application example ardustim comes with.a after config only need the pot adjustment.
Cool idea. ;)

I was just perusing the 'bay' and they have 128x64 OLED going for around USD $3-4. But I was thinking one of the 20x4 displays on top of the simulator board with the pots lined up below it... and right-angle headers off one side for the connections.

Would probably have to buffer the pots so that if this samples a pot while Speedy is sampling too the readings aren't skewed.

Also, maybe modify Ardustim so the user can press a button or two to cycle through the various trigger patterns and display the current pattern on the display. Can't really see a need for requiring a computer connection or some fancy GUI on a display though: this should be as "stand-alone" as possible and practical.

Considering things, maybe a jump up to a Mega-compatible unit might be in order?
You mean these lil oled(thats the one in the right next to the nano
2016-07-05 23.31.04.jpg
2016-07-05 23.31.04.jpg (1.52 MiB) Viewed 7513 times
That one has two colours! Top couple lines are yellow, the rest blue. The other screen by the way attched to the teensy on the right is a 320x240 2.2 colour tft(spi 3.3v),but that needs extra 3.3v supply as the teensy cant quite do it.
In the last ardustim code there is prov for a pot to switch stim triggers wheels

you could set 'skip revolutions' to 3, then it wou[…]

Hi, I am trying to assign Signed values to the x-a[…]

blitzbox

I've finally figured out why MAP and Lambda weren'[…]

Hello, I bring news!! Let me tell you that after […]

Still can't find what you're looking for?