For any add-on boards such as VR conditioners, optos and OEM interface boards
By PSIG
Due to requests for stepper idle-air valve (IAC) control and/or extra outputs on various Speeduino (and other EFI system) boards such as the Speeduino v0.3 series, this bare DIY expansion board was designed to fill some of those needs. It includes a DRV8825 stepper module position, and a ULN2803A position with paired channels for 4 additional 1A grounding outputs, with diagnostic LEDs and outputs on 3.5mm screw terminals. The stepper driver and outputs are separate, and do not require populating with parts if not needed. It will sit or stick wherever you can find space, but envisioned over a proto area or clear space for easy wiring.
DRV+ULNv1_views.png
DRV+ULNv1_views.png (182.39 KiB) Viewed 8270 times
In order to use this expansion board on v0.3 series Speeduinos, noisymime will need to add a board description to TunerStudio, including new control pin designations, so the options and features are selectable. This PSB is offered here as an open-source design, and is generic in nature, with no claims to suitability for any particular application. The PCB is 27.3 x 47.5mm (about 1 x 1.9"). The PCB design has been uploaded to PCBs.io as project 8g30x for those wishing to simply click a purchase of four PCBs at their current price of $8.11, including worldwide free shipping. Just to be clear — that is 4 boards and free shipping at that price, using the link above. I have no business connection with PCBs.io, except as a customer, and this is only to make access for a few bare PCBs easier for members wanting them.

For those wishing to make their own, or have them made elsewhere, the zipped Gerber files are here:
(155.72 KiB) Downloaded 390 times

And the Bill Of Materials (generic BOM assembly parts list without specific part numbers) is here:
(15.3 KiB) Downloaded 410 times
As always, comments, suggestions, and posts of how you use it are always welcome! I will post some photos of completed modules when the first batch of boards arrives.
David
Last edited by PSIG on Wed May 23, 2018 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
DRV+ULN v1 powered with aux output 4 active:
DRV+ULNv1_GO4_Active.jpg
DRV+ULNv1_GO4_Active.jpg (47.86 KiB) Viewed 8149 times
Assembled layout and connections. Refer to ECM for relative connection points. The adapter can use direct wire connection, header pins, or screw terminals for input/output connections. The 12V connection power requirement is negligible for the aux outputs, but should supply up to 2A for stepper operation.
DRV+ULNv1_Connections.jpg
DRV+ULNv1_Connections.jpg (120.41 KiB) Viewed 8147 times
PSIG wrote:DRV+ULN v1 powered with aux output 4 active:
DRV+ULNv1_GO4_Active.jpg
Assembled layout and connections. Refer to ECM for relative connection points. The adapter can use direct wire connection, header pins, or screw terminals for input/output connections. The 12V connection power requirement is negligible for the aux outputs, but should supply up to 2A for stepper operation.
DRV+ULNv1_Connections.jpg
How to wire it on 0.3.6 board for only stepper based idle air control?
@noisymime has assigned the pins shown below to the v0.3.x series boards. Be sure to thank him. ;)

David

Connections for stepper control to the DRV+ULNv1 on v0.3 only:
DRV+ULN v0.3 Step Conn.png
DRV+ULN v0.3 Step Conn.png (24.38 KiB) Viewed 7960 times
Another image of the module with optional screw terminals on the outputs such as used on v0.3 series boards:
DRV+ULNv1_Scr-Term_2.jpg
DRV+ULNv1_Scr-Term_2.jpg (49.75 KiB) Viewed 7302 times
Last edited by PSIG on Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
PSIG wrote:@noisymime has assigned the pins shown below to the v0.3.x series boards. Be sure to thank him. ;)

David

Connections for stepper control to the DRV+ULNv1 on v0.3 only:
DRV+ULN v0.3 Step Conn.png
Thanks a lot @PSIG and @noisymime
I couldn't find the shared project at pcbs.io, is it still there as far as you know?

Thanks for your support of this project, I'm still working on my ls swap in my '84 Corvette, now using a 6.0
instead of last fall's 5.3..

Getting closer to trying to make it fire.....

Regards,

Ken

you could set 'skip revolutions' to 3, then it wou[…]

Hi, I am trying to assign Signed values to the x-a[…]

blitzbox

I've finally figured out why MAP and Lambda weren'[…]

Hello, I bring news!! Let me tell you that after […]

Still can't find what you're looking for?