For anything related to the 'official' Speeduino boards (Eg v0.3, v0.4 etc)
turbocg3 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:37 am Even if I switch it on after the speedy is powered it cant hold. It will latch and engage vvt.
I feel we have missed a very obvious point here you just used the word "LATCH" are you using a latching relay for the VVTI 12V supply. If yes you cant use this type of relay as the Speeduino does not have an output to "RESET" such a relay it will only "SET" what will be causing your issue.
Jason Green wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:51 pm
turbocg3 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:37 am Even if I switch it on after the speedy is powered it cant hold. It will latch and engage vvt.
I feel we have missed a very obvious point here you just used the word "LATCH" are you using a latching relay for the VVTI 12V supply. If yes you cant use this type of relay as the Speeduino does not have an output to "RESET" such a relay it will only "SET" what will be causing your issue.
Sorry. It's a normal relay. When I say latch I mean energize the relay coil.
evo_lucian wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:10 pm Forget about horizontal or vertical pins, what pin numbers are you using on the relay and what do you have it connected to.

Triggering a vtec solenoid is very easy using a relay with speeduino.

I posted a picture of the wiring. It's on the previous page.
Your drawing still only has horizontal and vertical pins. Basically you need speeduino vvt output to ground relay's coil, that relay coil should control a switched 12v which will go to vtec solenoid.

So pin 85&30 on the relay go to switched 12v, pin 86 goes to speeduino vvt output and pin 87 on the relay goes to vtec solenoid. After that the rest is all done in TS. Set vvt to be on/off and set duty cycle (100) at whatever rpm vs TPS you want the vtec to activate. If that doesn't work then you have other issues
By PSIG
You have a number of factors in this mix that are causing confusion. I'm throwing out some stuff in-case it makes you think of something. I'm not sure why you're using a relay at all, but if you want to, then I would approach it by testing. Put a volt meter on the gate of Q6 (see schematic below). For Q6 to operate (grounding the relay coil), the gate must go HIGH (not near 0V or ground). This switches Q6 on, grounding whatever is connected to IDC38.

Operate your ECM and VVT normally, noting the state of the gate voltage. Is the VVT properly off when the gate voltage is low? Is VVT on when gate voltage is high (around 3 to 5V)?

Then watch when it activates unexpectedly. Is the gate going high from the processor signal? If not, the relay is being triggered by something else. If it is high at the "wrong" time, then it could be a board or component issue, or programming.

Note at the start of this post, I mentioned using a relay. Most (not all) VVTs and similar solenoids and actuators are wired with common +12V, and are activated by grounding the (-) wire. If yours is not this type, and you have to work with it, that's fine. But if it's an option to change it to this wiring, then the GND wire can go directly to IDC38 in order to activate the VVT directly by grounding. Check your VVT for current (or measure the resistance to calculate current), but most Speeduino boards can handle up to about 8 amps on the HC circuits. Hope that helps somehow.

David

Speeduino High Current circuits
Speeduino High Current circuits
HC1&HC2_schem.jpg (73.97 KiB) Viewed 6959 times
Hey David, unlike most vvt solenoids, the Honda VTEC solenoid gets a ground through factory harness and requires a switched 12v trigger to activate it, hence the need for a relay since speeduino vvt output is a ground.

OP post a copy of your tune

Hi, I am trying to assign Signed values to the x-a[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

New version 202305 don't fix the issue. Now after[…]

blitzbox

I've finally figured out why MAP and Lambda weren'[…]

Hello, I bring news!! Let me tell you that after […]

Still can't find what you're looking for?