For anything related to the 'official' Speeduino boards (Eg v0.3, v0.4 etc)
By noisymime
I've started playing around with the designs for a v0.3 board recently. This will be an evolution of the v0.2 board with only fairly minor changes planned. The board will likely remain a 10cm x 15cm size.

So far the changes from v0.2 are:
  • Added a reset pin protection circuit, per Atmel application note AVR040
  • Bringing the VR interface DIP closer to the input terminal to reduce noise from high voltage/frequency AC pulses
  • Neaten up much of the routing
  • Bring the pin holes for the MAP sensor slightly closer to the mounting holes
  • Added a 3A driver for 'spare' outputs. All 4 generic outputs now have 3A low side drivers (3/1/15)
And that's about it for now. Any further suggestions and general discussion are very welcome!
hello am following your project is very interesting what'm putting on a breadboard.
a suggestion, optimal would put an optocoupler outputs for both injectors and ignition coils to form separate physical control stage and power and no noise problems.
P.D sorry if my English is not very good. :D :D :D
By noisymime
gustavoportilla85 wrote:hello am following your project is very interesting what'm putting on a breadboard.
a suggestion, optimal would put an optocoupler outputs for both injectors and ignition coils to form separate physical control stage and power and no noise problems.
It's certainly a possibility I've considered. The original v0.1 board (Which was little more than a handful of components) used optos on the drivers, but I elected not to go with them on the v0.2 as I wasn't convinced they were adding any value. On the injector side, a good protected mosfet should take care of this (In combination on with obvious good practice mosfet circuits). On the ignition side I can definitely see an argument for optos if you're looking at driving high current coils, but for this the v0.2 isn't suitable anyway.

I'll certainly keep it in mind, particularly if I start to see any noise from these areas. At the moment though it's the input circuits that are the priority for protection as that is where most of the noise can get in.
P.D sorry if my English is not very good. :D :D :D
Seems fine to me! :D
By noisymime
So, after much back and forth and hours (upon hours!) of searching through datasheets and product catalogues, I've come to the conclusion that I'm probably going to need to include at least 1 SMT component on the board. It's the ICs for the generic low side outputs. I'd never quite been happy with the part that was there and the unfortunate fact is that there simply aren't any suitable products in a nice friendly through-hole DIP package.

The IC I've chosen is a SO-8, which is still relatively easy to solder by hand, but I thought I'd see what people's thoughts were on going to this kind of IC in place of the much simpler DIP8

The only alternative I can really see is to use individual TO-220 ICs (Same as the existing injector drivers), which are good from a user simplicity point of view, and great for driving high power loads, but take up quite a lot of room (Above the board as well as area on the board itself). If the consensus is to go with these though, I will happily make the change.
By noisymime
Now that I think more about it... Maybe the big TO-220 FETs are the way to go. Sure they're a bit crude, but they're powerful and easy to use, which was the whole point of this project :D
By plazomat
Josh,

a good old T0-220 fet can't be beat for ease of use and repair ability.

S08 parts are not bad to do by hand if you have access to a microscope or magnifier..I would think you are on the limits of usability for the back yard guy.

Having said that my shields are almost exclusively smt parts except for those TC44XX parts which I assume you chose due to the 3A capability and power handling that goes with it..a nice to have but as stated earlier super overkill to drive a fuel pump or cooling fan relay.

for what its worth...VNS3NV04DP-E in SO8, is a widely used general purpose low side switch in the DIY ECU world...

I would say use the big guys to stay simple while developing you can always reduce the size later when Speeduino matures, I will likely use smt versions like the VNS3NV04DP-E to implement the 4 generic low side switches, I will pick up a lot of room this way.

Plaz
By noisymime
I think you've pretty much read my thoughts there Plaz :lol:

I'll go with the TO-220s for now I think as it seems more in line with the aims of the project. These are replacing the 2 generic TC4423s that were there (The TC4424s for the ignition remain). If nothing else it means there are 4x 6A (!) outputs so driving something like a 4 wire idle motor directly will be possible.
There are a LOT of nice SMD ICs out there, the VNS3NV04DP-E definitely being one of them (ST in particular seem to make some great automotive ICs, but don't do thru-hole at all), so if I ever do a surface mount board I'll have a lot of options.

It's looking very likely that the v0.3 board will either pickup some more generic outputs (Probably lower current ones), and possibly a small feedback mechanism (Maybe a few 7-segs or a small LCD). Once those are added, I'll look at finalising this version.
By plazomat
Hi Josh,

I went and moved all my ignition drivers and spare low side drivers to SMT parts, picked up lots of room in my output shield.

I have picked up so much room I have space to put in a UDx2916: Dual Full-Bridge PWM Motor Driver or the likes to directly control an IAC..as in MS. I think you can still get it in a thru hole package via ebay/china, I would be looking at an SMT version. I believe you can control it with 3 digital I/Os - question for you is which pins would you want to use?

Plaz
By plazomat
A small eeprom should be easy enough to put in next spin, and when the 3.3v schemas get published add that support as well...send me some info as to which eeprom and how you want it connected

Plaz

Hi, I am trying to assign Signed values to the x-a[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

New version 202305 don't fix the issue. Now after[…]

blitzbox

I've finally figured out why MAP and Lambda weren'[…]

Hello, I bring news!! Let me tell you that after […]

Still can't find what you're looking for?