Any strange behaviour, crashing issues etc, post them here! Problems compiling the firmware should go in the General support section rather than here
By SpartanSv
My current setup is a Ford 5.4 32V V8 with a T67 turbo and E85 with a Speeduino 0.3 board. I'm on December 2020 firmare. I recently started refining my tune and one of the things at the top of the list was to dial in closed loop boost control.

What I've discovered is that when using closed loop boost control the Speeduino will not trigger the boost control output until MAP exceeds 100kpa. That's fine at sea level but less than ideal at elevation. My baro readings at my elevation are in the low 80s.

In my case the result is having to rely on spring pressure to hold the wastegate shut between ~82kpa and 100kpa. This is potentially problematic when running a very light wastegate spring.

What I propose is activating the boost control output as soon as MAP is greater than BARO instead of waiting until MAP reaches 100kpa.

By theonewithin
So update your firmware?

Also wouldn't 80kpa manifold pressure be no different if its under boost or not?

Not even sure if it would be a bug or misunderstanding on how things actually work?

Either way you need to update your firmware.
By SpartanSv
theonewithin wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:21 am So update your firmware?
Ok I will, but what do you think that will accomplish? The changelogs don't mention anything about this.
theonewithin wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:21 am Also wouldn't 80kpa manifold pressure be no different if its under boost or not?

Not even sure if it would be a bug or misunderstanding on how things actually work?
I think you're not understanding the issue. A worst case example is someone at 80 kpa baro trying to run a 15 kpa spring with something like a 30 kpa target. The spring won't get them to 100kpa so the boost control output would never be triggered and they would never see more than spring pressure.
By jonbill
It's definitely deliberate:
auxiliaries.ino:162 from 202103 release:
Code: Select all
    else if (configPage4.boostType == CLOSED_LOOP_BOOST)
    {
      if( (boostCounter & 7) == 1) { currentStatus.boostTarget = get3DTableValue(&boostTable, currentStatus.TPS, currentStatus.RPM) * 2; } //Boost target table is in kpa and divided by 2
      if(currentStatus.MAP >= 100 ) //Only engage boost control above 100kpa.
Easy enough to try your own fix, and if it works, submit a pull request.

I'm inclined to agree it should be currentStatus.baro, but I don't know enough about how it all works to be sure.
I can't think why to use 100kpa other than as a cheap proxy for atmospheric pressure.
By SpartanSv
Fantastic. Looks like it was just an oversight and appears to be extremely easy to change.

Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction. I'll attempt to change it and report the results.
By SpartanSv
I finally took the time to try this and it works perfectly. I simply changed the value of 100 to currentstatus.baro and closed loop boost now starts outputting to the solenoid as soon as MAP > barometric pressure.

Thank you very much jonbill.

Doesn't look like you can edit posts? Correct. […]

BMW E23 M30B28

Don't forget, you can always fall-back to the &[…]

Ignition Angle doubled?

*** HELP **** HELP *** HELP *** now it starts to […]

The basetunes were on so old version that they did[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?