Any strange behaviour, crashing issues etc, post them here! Problems compiling the firmware should go in the General support section rather than here
By mian3010
Hi

I have been working on converting my Volvo 940 Turbo (B230FT) to Speeduino for quite a while. However, i seem to have run into a strange problem now.

The engine runs as standard with a VR sensor. I have the VR-conditioner board from diy-efi.co.uk. I have been getting quite inconsistent results with this setup. It can run fine, looking at tooth logs for a couple of seconds, and then have some misses. I started out blaming the VR-sensor, and instead opting for a hall-sensor.

Several weeks later, i had built a toothed wheel to mount on my accessory drive at the front of the engine. I ended up destroying the only hall sensor i had, so i built one using IR-diodes instead, but with the same basic functionality. That being a square 0-5v signal.

With this entirely different sensor, and not using the VR-conditioner i am seeing the exact same issues. Thus ruling out the sensor. Also, the new sensors wiring was routed outside the car, to the ECU ruling out any interference with the rest of the wiring. The wires used are well-shielded.

I have swapped Speeduino board (as i accidentally broke the old one with a screwdriver), and swapped Arduino Mega 2560-board to a new, original one. As far as i can tell this means that i have swapped out all the hardware, ruling this out. Could it be firmware-related? Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
By theonewithin
Others have had strange issues.

Almost always comes down to noise.

But as above what trigger pattern. Is in use?

Posting your tube and a log off the issue can be usefull too.
By Hasse.69
mian3010 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:16 pm Hi

I have been working on converting my Volvo 940 Turbo (B230FT) to Speeduino for quite a while. However, i seem to have run into a strange problem now.

The engine runs as standard with a VR sensor. I have the VR-conditioner board from diy-efi.co.uk. I have been getting quite inconsistent results with this setup. It can run fine, looking at tooth logs for a couple of seconds, and then have some misses. I started out blaming the VR-sensor, and instead opting for a hall-sensor.

Several weeks later, i had built a toothed wheel to mount on my accessory drive at the front of the engine. I ended up destroying the only hall sensor i had, so i built one using IR-diodes instead, but with the same basic functionality. That being a square 0-5v signal.

With this entirely different sensor, and not using the VR-conditioner i am seeing the exact same issues. Thus ruling out the sensor. Also, the new sensors wiring was routed outside the car, to the ECU ruling out any interference with the rest of the wiring. The wires used are well-shielded.

I have swapped Speeduino board (as i accidentally broke the old one with a screwdriver), and swapped Arduino Mega 2560-board to a new, original one. As far as i can tell this means that i have swapped out all the hardware, ruling this out. Could it be firmware-related? Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
Where are you at?
By mian3010
I am using missing tooth pattern. 36-1 with the IR-sensor, 44-2 with the VR-sensor.

After running this through my head a lot the last couple of days, the only thing i see that hasn't been changed is the screw-terminal-block i am using. Noise might be picked up there. I am going to try soldering the sensor input directly to a wire on the 40-pin cable, and see if that changes anything.

Also, as of now my Speeduino is not in a case at all. Could noise problems be alleviated by placing it in a metal casing?

I am located in Denmark, about 30-45 minutes from Copenhagen.
By NickZ
Im running a 36-1 with a VR sensor, a VR (max 9926) conditioner. and NO software filtering on a V8 with 8 injector and 8 coils. Have no noise issues. This is my daily work ute
There is no issues with firmware.
My speeduino is mounted in a plastic case.
There is 2 plug/connections on the VR sensor wiring from the sensor to the Speeduino.
Im using cheap Shielded audio cable for the sensor wiring.

Its your wiring somewhere.
if your IR sensor is getting the same errors its not a noise problem. the IR sensor is very unlikely to suffer noise unless you have very high voltage jumping through it.

It could be a bad positive connection spade terminal connected to something when things are moving (eg cranking and engine moving around), Maybe a dodgy connection on the fuel pump that may not be bad enough to stop the car running,
A weak relay thats arcing on the contact points?
any of these things could be somehow connected to speeduino Power circuit and not the ground circuit that could be causing the problem.

have you run a complete new harness for your speeduino or have you tapped into the standard wiring?
By mian3010
Thank you for your reply, it is nice to know that someone is running this without issues.

It is a completely new wiring harness for the car.

Maybe i could try powering the IR-sensor from a separate, stable 5v supply, to rule out any problems with this.

The output from my the tooth logger looks something like this:
Tooth error.png
Tooth error.png (11.41 KiB) Viewed 11999 times
By NickZ
wow. thats a mess, I don't think there is any trigger in there at all. so im guessing you have no way to scope the trigger signal?

Is that from it IR or VR?
With the VR have you tried to change the polarity of the sensor wiring?
Tried with Leading and Trailing (should be trailing) in the firmware?
The VR sensor is going to be the best solution.
Are you setting the input jumpers correct on the board? I don't think the VR used the pull ups, But how is the IR setup, does it have a 5v reference and then pull to ground when opened or closed? Does it need the 5V pull up from speeduino?
By mian3010
The screenshot above is from the IR-sensor. Ignore the small fluctuations in time between teeth, this is due to the fact that i have hand-built the trigger wheel, and the teeth are not exactly of equal size. The weirdness is the two signals that stand out. The one with very short time between pulses, and the one with about 3 times as long between pulses.
Tooth error highlighted.png
Tooth error highlighted.png (18.74 KiB) Viewed 11993 times
I have tried changing from/to trailing and leading. I have tried swapping VR-sensor +/-, one way yields nothing, the other yields something like the screenshot above.

The IR-sensor gives a 0-5v signal, so JP2 is set to Hall, and pull-up jumper is not set. It does not need a pull-up, rather a pull-down, as it switches between 5v and floating, but that is built in to the sensor.

I am not with the car right now, but i will try to fiddle a bit more with it tomorrow, and let you know my findings. Unfortunately, i do not own an oscilloscope. Otherwirse, it would be easy to confirm that the signal was the culprit, and not the firmware.

NickZ, which version of the firmware are you using, on your running V8?

Hi, I am trying to assign Signed values to the x-a[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

New version 202305 don't fix the issue. Now after[…]

blitzbox

I've finally figured out why MAP and Lambda weren'[…]

Hello, I bring news!! Let me tell you that after […]

Still can't find what you're looking for?